DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Custom cai enclosure (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115039)

Sport12 06-15-2012 11:32 AM

Custom cai enclosure

Was thinking about making a custom insulated cai enclosure for my k&n intake. Anybody done thus or know how it turns out?

moparornocar72 06-15-2012 08:35 PM

I think you would be better mating ur k&N tube up to the factory box and replacing the factory paper air filter with a k&N drop in air filter. Just my opinion but none the less if u do it post some pictures! Hope it works out for you!

Jchaney579 06-15-2012 11:46 PM

Been thinking about this also! If you take the rubber molding off the top and just get some sheets of metal then cut a square and weld it to the top. Then bend some steel or whatever you want to use and close the front off. Bend some also to get that little cut out on the fender that directs air into the stop air box closed off and aimed into the newly close K&N. Then paint and call it a day :P

Mophead 06-16-2012 12:14 AM

How about a ram air tube or hose? Ala Pontiac Ram Air. Forced air can be a problem though.

See the CAI Evaluation thread. They're ram air'n. Didn't read all the way through though. I'm old school (carbs) so I don't know if the injectors will shoot enough fuel or not without mods??? Chrysler Racing manuals used to stipulate 35 sq inches for a scoop opening (carbs again). Haven't a clue the change in dynamics with throttle bodies and injectors. But you can bet your butt Ima gonna find out. I'm back in the game after a 30 year hiatus. Look out youngins!

aaram12 06-16-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport12 (Post 821507)
Was thinking about making a custom insulated cai enclosure for my k&n intake. Anybody done thus or know how it turns out?

i left the rubber of and it looks great....dont see an engineering reason to have it exept for not burning my arms on a hot engine

storeboy 06-17-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparornocar72 (Post 821827)
I think you would be better mating ur k&N tube up to the factory box and replacing the factory paper air filter with a k&N drop in air filter. Just my opinion but none the less if u do it post some pictures! Hope it works out for you!

I have thought about doing this same thing, but I cannot find anyone that will sell just the tube. I already have the K&N drop in so I am set there. I also read a post about opening up the bottom of the factory box with a 3" hole saw and connecting a tube of flex duct right behind the bumper. I think between doing all of this it would help things out quite a bit.