DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   first track time for the express just sad! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115043)

JasonRB2k1 06-15-2012 10:57 AM

first track time for the express just sad!

So I took my 2011 Express to the track for the first time last night, and I have to say I left ANGRY! I have the AR headers, Magnaflow exhaust, and K&N intake, and in two runs only pulled a 9.7 @75 mph! I really like to think that it is the tune killing the truck due to the long tubes because off the launch it was just falling on its face. With traction control off it still wouldn't even squeal a tire. Off a 20 puch it will light up the tires and haul ass! Any suggestions for getting better number would be greatly appreciated!

dusterman 06-15-2012 11:17 AM

sorry bud but you need a tune bad. our trucks with longtubes lose a butload of lower torque putting long tube headers on with out a tune. ar headers shows they get a lot of horsepower. but they put it on a 09-10 truck and tuned the truck to those headers. so next is a tuner. but really have doubts it will ever come out. oh btw what are your gears are you 2wd, or 4x4, you could always put a 2800 stall, a good one is about 500 bucks plus labor another 300, it takes about 1/2 sec off your time. nitrous kit 100 shot, get you in the high 13s easily. when you have those headers and a magnaflow exhaust and such, you are running with very little back pressure, your computer is still running the same air/fuel ratio as stock so thos mods dont help much till yah tune it. but if they do come out with a tuner. these mods plus a tuner is going to mak the truck feel like its got a good shot in the bum. haha

JasonRB2k1 06-15-2012 11:21 AM

As much as I don't want to do it, I might just have to break down and do the B&G tune in the next couple of months if Mopar doesn't come out with the program they are talking about or Diablo doesn't get things going. It seems like it is just running rich as all get out...

dusterman 06-15-2012 11:28 AM

if no one is coming out with anything by christmas then i will worry alittle on tuning.

JasonRB2k1 06-15-2012 12:04 PM

Mine has the 3.92 gears. do you think that it is really losing torque with the 1 3/4 headers with cats or that the TM is just adjusting more due to the extra power?

dusterman 06-15-2012 02:06 PM

Well mine also has 3.92 gears and in the 1/8 I'm doing 9.046 at best. I have k&n cai and muffler delete and that's it. How are you launching I only take my rpms to 1000 when I launch the torque management doesn't interfere that much I make sure my truck is in first and I let it shift by itself then I got the best time that way. But if you are revving your truck to the 2000 range yes the truck eats it. And ecu gets involved even with traction control off. But on the header side yes you have lossed some low end torque but you should of gained high end power. Which I think it goes that way. Specially with no tune. hopefully this helps

dusterman 06-15-2012 02:07 PM

Btw what is your 60 foot time

snrusnak 06-15-2012 02:12 PM

You're most likely running lean with long tubes. Lean is mean, but too lean falls on it's face. Rich would be a bog down feeling.

Not much you can do to remedy the issue without tuning, other than take the long tubes off.

JasonRB2k1 06-15-2012 03:10 PM

60 ft times are 2.3, and it bogs like a mother! you can stand behind the truck at idle and smell that it is running very rich. my launch is 1000-1200 and leaving it to shift on its own. I will agree to disagree on losing low end torque with the headers on there seeing how it reacts to like a 20 punch compared to just trying to launch it. I do completely agree that there is just nothing that I can do without some kind of tuning. As hot and extremely humid as it was last night my buddy with a 2012 express wasnt running any better, 9.8 @73

dusterman 06-15-2012 04:17 PM

Mmm you do exactly what I do when I launch. And still getting those times. I would have to blame the headers on this. The trucks ecu is confused with all the extra air leaving so its tryinG to compensate for it by throwing more fuel at it. Is my guess. And keeping the same flow of air coming in. Which makes yah run rich.