DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram R/T (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   bbk throttle bodie and headers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115332)

christopher77 06-18-2012 09:17 PM

bbk throttle bodie and headers

i have a 12 RT. and im thinking about these mods bbk throttle bodie and headers. has anyone done them and what was the gains? what one would be better 85mm or 90mm? i already have thje k&n cai.

moparornocar72 06-19-2012 09:41 PM

the bbk might throw a code w/o a tune and since u cant tune that might create a problem

CdnoilRAM 06-19-2012 10:22 PM

Unless you have supporting mods you won't see much difference with the throttle body or headers unless you can tune it. Running my headers I threw a high O2 voltage code and it adjusts the tune down killing some power. If you run both you'll be throwing codes for sure and the engine will pull timing to compensate which defeats the whole purpose of the mods.

frickenbored 06-20-2012 08:12 PM

In my opinion "bigger" throttle bodies are useless...the stock throttle body is 80mm, the inlet on the intake is 85mm. 5mm more isn't ever going to be noticeable, maybe I'm missing something but I would spend the money in other areas.

CdnoilRAM 06-20-2012 08:41 PM

Bigger throttle bodies aren't useless, but you should have the mods in place to take advantage of the higher volumetric flow rates. If you drop an 85mm onto a stock engine w/ stock exhaust then you won't see any noticable gains. But the same 85mm on a set of ported heads, cam, headers, etc will make a big difference as you are allowing more air at a higher velocity to enter and exit the combustion chamber. It is definately in the realm of supporting mods, not a standard bolt-on like so many people treat it. But we all know that the butt-dyno never lies.

frickenbored 06-20-2012 11:53 PM

well yea I suppose if you go into the engine internals and start messing around it could be beneficial, But like you said as just a bolt on accessory....not the greatest

Grubrunner 06-21-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frickenbored (Post 825801)
In my opinion "bigger" throttle bodies are useless...the stock throttle body is 80mm, the inlet on the intake is 85mm. 5mm more isn't ever going to be noticeable, maybe I'm missing something but I would spend the money in other areas.

On their own, yes, they are almost always not worth the money you spend.

However....

Bigger TB plus headers plus exhaust plus intake plus a custom tune [not canned] and you have a damn good combo.

I've used this method [and then some] on more than a few vehicles in the past.

Chris b 01-26-2013 11:54 PM

This is an old tread I did back in the day and everyone here was saying the larger throttle body was a waist of money, but now everyone is doing this so what gives???

CdnoilRAM 01-27-2013 12:26 AM

Because the highly modified guys are doing it, so everyone wants to do it. I have to laugh when I see people buying the "ported" TBs that still have a stock diameter butterfly valve. I can understand going to a full diameter TB, and with sufficient bolt-ons it can take advantage of the higher flow demands, but on a near stock motor it's still just one more thing for people to spend money on. Hell, we've at least curbed the throttle body spacer belief lately.

Chris b 01-27-2013 12:36 AM

So do you think Moe's 87mm throttle body would help me any with my mods of
K&Ncai / Ypipe / flowmaster / diablo trinity /hemifever tune / 180t / bt catch-can