DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Power options for '06 4.7L (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115334)

lienhart06 06-18-2012 09:44 PM

Power options for '06 4.7L

Im looking for ways to get more power and low end torque outta my engine. I thought about maybe putting a Turbocharger on it, only running about 4-5 lbs. I already have Cat-Back dual exhaust, Air Raid CAI, Superchips programmer. I don't know what else to do. Does MSD making any parts for this engines. Thanks for the help.

HemiLonestar 06-19-2012 06:36 PM

Well your exhaust from the cat back is fine. Maybe look at matching the front half to match it. Upgrading cams with custom tuning will go a long way. Hell, custom tuning on it's own might help.

bigVtwin 06-21-2012 06:02 PM

I really wish the 4.7 had more aftermarket support. Everything I've heard or read says cams for this motor are next to impossible to find. An electric fan conversion supposedly frees up around 10hp, you could try that next. I would love to see someone actually build a twin turbo 4.7, though.

HemiEd 07-20-2012 02:49 PM

From what I have read on here, the 2008 intake is a big improvement and I have purchased one for my 2003.

You will need the Airram adapter though, and that is what I am waiting to buy.

Wow, I just checked it out and they have a $50 off sale going right now, think I am going to go ahead and order it!

http://airram.com/product.php?catego...productid=1341

SnoylCC5 07-22-2012 08:55 PM

hemied- how much was your air intake?

snrusnak 07-22-2012 10:44 PM

A remote mount turbo kit for the hemi would be easily adaptable to the 4.7L :)

Lately I've been thinking of turbocharging my 4.7L as well. I believe you could do about 6-8psi reliably and safely. The 4.7L is a very strong engine, I don't think it'd have any issues handling boost.

I just can't stand to drop $5k on a turbo kit that would need modified to work. If I do it I'd do it from scratch and shoot for $2-3k. Should be doable. Should end up around 450-500hp too(at least for the 2008+ 4.7L). Maybe 400-450hp for the older 4.7L.

HemiEd 07-24-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoylCC5 (Post 847991)
hemied- how much was your air intake?

I did a search on car-part.com and found one from a local salvage already pulled and on the shelf for $110. It was in very nice shape , can't tell it from new, except it had a bunch of oil in it. (will be putting a catch can on)
They also gave me the injectors and TB, but I don't need those at this time.

Or you can check with AirRam.com and they had them new pretty reasonable last time I looked.

SnoylCC5 11-13-2012 05:22 PM

i know its been a while since this has been talked about, but sean. did you ever do any more research on turboing your 4.7?? After doing alot of research, im interested... ever so slightly lol

snrusnak 11-13-2012 06:37 PM

I wish I had the money to do a turbo, but I've decided that it isn't worth it for me. I have a plan to finish my truck performance wise and that includes ram air, catch can(in progress), y pipe and muffler swap(in progress), MAYBE making longtubes, and MAYBE 4.10's with LSD. Also I cut a deal with Sean(hemifever) yesterday and we are working on a hemifever tune for the 08+ 4.7L. I don't believe he's done one yet on the new 4.7L so I'm looking forward to what he can get out of it power wise(not that I'm unhappy with the superchips). I just figure it's another thing to explore, and we worked out a very good deal for me so I jumped on it. Hopefully it'll turn out good and others can benefit from it. I'm actually considering going back to the stock converter to(or maybe a different one) because I lost top end with the stall. I did a datalog today(quick) and my 0-40mph is faster but 0-60 slower(half a second slower, actually). That doesn't make me happy lol. My quad cab 4.7L with 3.55 open diff. did 0-60 in ~7.2 seconds IIRC with just the SC 93 tune with stock converter. Now with drop in air filter and the same tune, and 2800 stall, the best I've got is ~7.7 seconds IIRC.

If I did do a turbo, I would go to the v6 efan(4th gens only), and mount a single turbo in front of the engine between the efan and engine, having to make custom manifolds/downpipe to the turbo, and have an intercooler mounted up front either behind the grill or behind the lower grill(in the bumper). Would also need injectors, tuning(diablo custome tuning....probably Sean again with hemifever), and many other things. I just decided it's not worth the say ~$5000 for me to do it, and hoping it works(as I've never dealt with forced induction before).

SnoylCC5 11-14-2012 08:59 PM

Yea.. i undrstand. I was looking into a rear mounted turbo, made by me. Maybe a holset or something like that. I found everything i need to make one, and get it running, for about $1200. But the only problem, me not being the most knowledgable on these 4.7's i wasnt sure about it. and just reread this thread and it got me thinking