DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Power Wagon (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Leveling a Power Wagon (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115371)

Wandell 06-19-2012 02:19 PM

Leveling a Power Wagon

I've been reseaching trucks for a few months now and have a question concerning the 2009 and new Power Wagons. It seems that on the 09+ 2500's that 2.5 or 3 inches is about as high as you can go with a simple leveling kit. I've read that the Power Wagons sit 2 inches taller than the standard 2500's. So, can you still add a 2, 2.5 or 3 inch leveling kit to the front of a Power Wagon?

Sledlvr 06-19-2012 02:29 PM

I went to 3 different suspension shops , and was warned against lifting or leveling my 12 PW , That they had lifted a few 11 and 12 Power Wagons specifically , all had issues with death wobble , But with the proper rims I fit 35x12.50x17 without any rubbing

gusman 06-19-2012 02:30 PM

Note that 2009 and 2010 power wagons are different trucks. Not sure bout the level kit as mine is a regular 2500

stubie82 06-19-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledlvr (Post 824643)
I went to 3 different suspension shops , and was warned against lifting or leveling my 12 PW , That they had lifted a few 11 and 12 Power Wagons specifically , all had issues with death wobble , But with the proper rims I fit 35x12.50x17 without any rubbing

So you are running 35s on stock suspension? I want to go bigger on tires, and was told 35s would fit, I just wasn't sure. I also plan on off-roading more, so would the flex make the 35s rub you think?

Sledlvr 06-19-2012 06:29 PM

I've had zero problems with mine, but rim size is critical , the tire shop I deal with , treats me very well, we mounted several different rims on the truck, then lifted one wheel at a time on the hoist ,testing full compression and extension, while turning lock to lock , before we found a rim that would work , in actuality , my tires measure 35 3/4" tall, as they are a custom recap Bandag capped on my 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's .
most 35x12.50 tires only measure 34 1/2" tall when new

stubie82 06-19-2012 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't think rim size would be that critical. You'd think a rim is a rim when you put a certain size tire on. I will have plenty of more research I think before I buy new tires, which for now, mine work.
Thanks again.

Sledlvr 06-19-2012 07:59 PM

Rim size , affects the overall fit of a wheel as much as the tire itself does , depending on the backspacing , it moves the wheel in or out of the wheel well , the further inside (positive offset) , more chance of the tire rubbing on suspension or inner fenders , move it out (negative offset), more chance of rubbing on the bumper or rear of the outer fender.

Rim width also makes a difference on overall height of the wheel , a narrower rim will make the tire profile slightly taller , as a wider rim will lower the profile .

Also , take into account that moving the back spacing, also changes the load on the wheel bearings , so if you pack a heavy load , you don't want to go too much positive or negative , and the larger overall diameter tires take more power to turn and more brake pressure to stop, I strongly recommend upgraded brakes for anybody going to taller/heavier tires.

And don't even get me going on getting the speedometer calibrated for the larger tires on a 2012 Ram without an aftermarket tuner/programmer that still isn't available , and nobody knows when one will be , There isn't many tire sizes programmed into the factory ECM

stubie82 06-19-2012 08:57 PM

You def. know your stuff. I knew about the pos. and neg. offset a bit. I just never really gave that too much of a thought. I guess when I do pull the trigger I will have to go to a few places and hopefully have a good experience like you do!

Wandell 06-20-2012 12:15 AM

So no one here has added a leveling kit to a current generation Power Wagon? I was hoping that the Power Wagons may have a longer track bar and control arms than the standard 2500's.

stubie82 06-20-2012 07:07 AM

Wandell, if you look through, there is a guy who just bought a Rancho 4" lift for his and just recently had it delivered. Look through the power wagon section, he should know.