DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Pro 2 Tune??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115412)

CoolBlueDude 06-19-2012 10:34 PM

Pro 2 Tune???

I read someone's personal review recently which pretty much said that when I buy a new performance tuner (such as the Diablo or Superchip) that unless I have had some experience with tuning/mechanics, I should expect to fork out many more hundreds of dollars to have to get a professional to tune it for me. I can not afford that to be honest. If I can't do the work myself then I will have to skip this important mod- which would be a big disappointment to be frank.

Any suggestions, advice, or general opinions from anyone that may be able to shed some light on this confusing topic help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to find what's right or wrong concerning mod's is like trying to walk through a labyrinth blindfolded...

FYI: I am leaning more towards the Diablo right now based on what I am reading on this forum.

Thanks!

CdnoilRAM 06-19-2012 11:28 PM

The canned tunes that come with the programmers are good on their own and support the basic mods like intake, exhaust, headers. You don't need ANY mechanical ability to run the basic tunes. If you get into more mods then you'll want a custom tune to take advantage of them. If you can operate a computer and are able to download/upload things you can update the unit and assuming you can follow directions written by a 5-year old you can install the tunes in your vehicle.

Here's the scoop on the two main programmers on here:

The Diablo is very popular, but unless you're planning to run more in-depth mods like heads or a cam, then it's not the best. I personally run a trinity because I need the custom tuning aspect that diablo provides. The Superchip series is probably the better of the two when it comes to tuning for the basic upgrades as mentioned above. The Superchip also has transmission tuning ability that the diablo series lacks. Overall, I prefer the Superchip for mildly modded vehicles and the Diablo for the wilder mods.

CoolBlueDude 06-20-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 825111)
The canned tunes that come with the programmers are good on their own and support the basic mods like intake, exhaust, headers. You don't need ANY mechanical ability to run the basic tunes. If you get into more mods then you'll want a custom tune to take advantage of them. If you can operate a computer and are able to download/upload things you can update the unit and assuming you can follow directions written by a 5-year old you can install the tunes in your vehicle.

Here's the scoop on the two main programmers on here:

The Diablo is very popular, but unless you're planning to run more in-depth mods like heads or a cam, then it's not the best. I personally run a trinity because I need the custom tuning aspect that diablo provides. The Superchip series is probably the better of the two when it comes to tuning for the basic upgrades as mentioned above. The Superchip also has transmission tuning ability that the diablo series lacks. Overall, I prefer the Superchip for mildly modded vehicles and the Diablo for the wilder mods.

Thank you for your willingness to share your vast knowledge with us noob's!!! I have read MANY of your comments and yours is the one I always tend to leaned towards as I honestly believe that you do know what you are talking about! I was undecided with the tuner b/c of your comments on others topics, however I was leaning towards the Diablo b/c it will remove the MDS mode (as it appears "Superchips cortex" will not turn it off) and everyone seems to be so much more happier with Diablo, but IDK???. I am questioning myself once again, however I do believe that no matter which way I chose to go either one will make a HUGE difference and will be a positive mod!

Thanks and AWESOME TRUCK BTW CdnoilRAM!!!

chefred112 06-20-2012 04:31 AM

i thought superchips did mds shut off...I agree with everything cd has mentioned... superchips for the light mods..diablo if you need to custom tune.. and custom tuning isn't that expensive, dyno tuning is tho...

CoolBlueDude 06-20-2012 10:55 AM

One more vote for the Superchip

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 825313)
i thought superchips did mds shut off...I agree with everything cd has mentioned... superchips for the light mods..diablo if you need to custom tune.. and custom tuning isn't that expensive, dyno tuning is tho...

Well I guess that shows you what I know right! LOL!!! I looked and looked on superchips website to try to find out last night if they did turn off MDS mode b4 I posted my last comment. I didn't see a thing that told me one way or the other. Hope everyone can understand why this is so confusing to someone like myself with ZERO knowledge or experience with this sort of thing?! The amount of experience that seems to have here is next to none.

Glad you commented on my thread. I am learning a lot fast, and am now leaning more heavily towards the Superchip as it sounds like it will be all I need for a while. If I could afford the major mod's in the next year or so then I would go with the Diablo, but since my finances are so strapped, I probably won't be digging into the engine any time soon- not within the next few years for sure!!!

BTW: GREAT TRUCK BRO! I liked and favorited that video of your run. It makes me realize just how far I am from where I want to be.

CdnoilRAM 06-20-2012 10:19 PM

Hey, when I first got my truck I was entierly new to the scene and it was guys on here that really educated me. I've also made mistakes on my own and spent more money than I should have, but it was all a learning experience. We all have to start somewhere.

To my knowledge, all of the Superchips allow you to disable MDS as part of their engine parameter adjustability.