DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lowered 4x4s, who's the lowest?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115430)

SS4Luck 06-20-2012 03:22 AM

Lowered 4x4s, who's the lowest??

Like the title says, who's the lowest 4x4 that actually can use their 4wd in say snow or something

CdnoilRAM 06-20-2012 09:24 PM

I'm at 2/4, but there's a guy down in Lethbridge (2hrs south of me) that's running 4/6 with custom half-shafts.

SS4Luck 06-20-2012 11:59 PM

ooo

Is it a 3rd gen or 4th gen? Im thinking about going back to the drop route. Found out Im going to have to be driving my grandma around and she cant get in at stock height let alone lifted.

Figure a nice drop would help her even more and dont think I wanna pull the trigger on bags without going to a full 4 link rear notched etc. That gets very very expensive ina hurry

CdnoilRAM 06-21-2012 12:22 AM

His is a 3rd gen. There are currently no kits or even parts out there for lower than a 2/4 with the 4th gen trucks, let alone 4WDs. The 4-link is actually the least of your worries since the rear is dead simple to get lowered. Axle flip, a block, springs, and new shocks and you're closer to mother earth, and if you go with airbags over springs it's adjustable. The issue is the front end. You can get 2" with springs, but unless there's someone making drop spindles that I'm not aware of you will be hard pressed to get it lower. You'll also have issues with the front half-shafts as the greater deflection angle will absolutely destroy any CV joint unless you're running high angle joints on a custom shaft and then you're looking at major money to make it all work. The cost for me to get another 2-3 inches on my 3rd gen is about $3K for my 4wd.

SS4Luck 06-21-2012 03:27 AM

The front half shafts and CVs Im not worried about at all. My goof friends dad is a porsche race car fabricator and will build me a set for the front for beer and pizza.

Im thinking bag the rear, then get 2" springs in the front and cut an extra coil or two off.

There is no one making drop spindles/knuckles for 4th gens that i know either. Ive seen a bunch of pictures of the lowered 4x4 4th gens and the front just quite isnt low enough for me.

If love a 3/6, and i cant imagine 3" in the front puts the CVs at any more terrible of an angle than say Candy08s 9" lift and hes just running high angle CVs.

SS4Luck 06-21-2012 03:28 AM

also what are you talking about as far as block in the rear? Unless your talking 3rd gen too.

Some of the youtube videos Ive seen bagging the rear of 4th gens dont seem so hard

CdnoilRAM 06-21-2012 10:29 PM

Yeah, the blocks are for the leafspring rear ends, as is the axle swap; just used to talking about the 3rd gens when it comes to drops. Getting the rear on the 4th gen is a HELL of a lot easier than on the 3rd gens, so you're lucky in that respect.

If I pay for the beer and pizza think your friend could make 2 sets? :LOL: I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 4th gens have similar half-shafts, but I'd like to know for sure. I wonder how different the spindles are between the 3rd and 4th gens, because i know a guy or two that are really good fabricators...

Bennett15 06-22-2012 01:35 AM

I also have a 2/4 drop on my 4wd and im running 26s id love to do a 4/6 but as Kurtis already stated front drive shafts is whats stopping me if i keep the truck i might pull front drives shafts out and say F**K 4wd and slam the thing lol

SS4Luck 06-22-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 826603)
Yeah, the blocks are for the leafspring rear ends, as is the axle swap; just used to talking about the 3rd gens when it comes to drops. Getting the rear on the 4th gen is a HELL of a lot easier than on the 3rd gens, so you're lucky in that respect.

If I pay for the beer and pizza think your friend could make 2 sets? :LOL: I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 4th gens have similar half-shafts, but I'd like to know for sure. I wonder how different the spindles are between the 3rd and 4th gens, because i know a guy or two that are really good fabricators...

When the time comes and he makes me a set Ill talk to him about making another set. He can use my dads truck for mock up as well.

Im gonna start shopping around for a place to 4link/bag the rear. Maybe even have the rear end narrowed and run some stupid lip in the rear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett15 (Post 826710)
I also have a 2/4 drop on my 4wd and im running 26s id love to do a 4/6 but as Kurtis already stated front drive shafts is whats stopping me if i keep the truck i might pull front drives shafts out and say F**K 4wd and slam the thing lol

I wanted to run 26s for the longest time, but I think Ive decided to run 24s just because of the price difference for tires lol

skubydobdo 06-22-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Luck (Post 826011)
ooo

Is it a 3rd gen or 4th gen? Im thinking about going back to the drop route. Found out Im going to have to be driving my grandma around and she cant get in at stock height let alone lifted.

Figure a nice drop would help her even more and dont think I wanna pull the trigger on bags without going to a full 4 link rear notched etc. That gets very very expensive ina hurry

This is the best argument for a drop that I have ever heard :smiley_thumbs_up: