DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Don't Let The Door Hit You In The A... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115570)

EXPRESSIVE 06-21-2012 11:45 PM

Don't Let The Door Hit You In The A...

Im sure you've all heard the saying, "don't let the door hit you in the a$$"! Well, it hit me hard in the back right pocket today when I went to the DMV to pick up my tag and title. I bought my truck in Florida while at my girlfriends house for the week, Im from Louisiana. I did an online search and even called the only local Dodge dealer at home but no one could come close to the Florida dealers price (they were nearly $1300 cheaper). MSRP on my 2012 Express was $26,745, I was told $20,335 "out the door" tax, title, license and all rebates plus a $2500 trade in.
Here is the hit, they didn't take parish (La has parishes not county) taxes out! My trip to "pick up my plate" turned out costing me $816!! SOB! I paid cash for my truck and I thought that was it, sure didn't plan to shell out another near grand more. I called the dealer and was told that they can take state taxes out and send to La. but not parish taxes as they vary by parish and wards. Sure enough I checked my paperwork and on the county tax line it said N/A! I still got a better deal and I travel to Florida every other week so service isn't an issue. Just proves to really read the fine print real good, not just the bottom line!
Currently assuming the bent over position awaiting forum members kick in the butt! :poopstorm:

02 Ram 06-21-2012 11:48 PM

just registered mine today. $530 and i bought it with 156K miles!

brad12kx 06-22-2012 12:14 AM

You got away cheap! If I purchase a truck in a different province, I have to pay 7% PST (Provincial Sales Tax) when I register it here. Other provinces have different percentages. The only province that doesn't nail you is Alberta, as they still don't have a PST.

20K x 7% = $1400.00. Then it'll cost you another ~$2,000.00 for the tags and insurance.

If anyone should get a kick in the butt, it's us Canadians for allowing our governments to take at such a high rate.

Bikenut 06-22-2012 12:48 AM

Heh! try living in California! I'll be paying close to that EVERY YEAR for registration :(

My 8 year old Chevy cost me over $550 to register

4x4Hemi 06-22-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 826671)
You got away cheap! If I purchase a truck in a different province, I have to pay 7% PST (Provincial Sales Tax) when I register it here. Other provinces have different percentages. The only province that doesn't nail you is Alberta, as they still don't have a PST.

20K x 7% = $1400.00. Then it'll cost you another ~$2,000.00 for the tags and insurance.

If anyone should get a kick in the butt, it's us Canadians for allowing our governments to take at such a high rate.

gotta love Alberta :Banana01:

ArmyofOne 06-22-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXPRESSIVE (Post 826656)
Im sure you've all heard the saying, "don't let the door hit you in the a$$"! Well, it hit me hard in the back right pocket today when I went to the DMV to pick up my tag and title. I bought my truck in Florida while at my girlfriends house for the week, Im from Louisiana. I did an online search and even called the only local Dodge dealer at home but no one could come close to the Florida dealers price (they were nearly $1300 cheaper). MSRP on my 2012 Express was $26,745, I was told $20,335 "out the door" tax, title, license and all rebates plus a $2500 trade in.
Here is the hit, they didn't take parish (La has parishes not county) taxes out! My trip to "pick up my plate" turned out costing me $816!! SOB! I paid cash for my truck and I thought that was it, sure didn't plan to shell out another near grand more. I called the dealer and was told that they can take state taxes out and send to La. but not parish taxes as they vary by parish and wards. Sure enough I checked my paperwork and on the county tax line it said N/A! I still got a better deal and I travel to Florida every other week so service isn't an issue. Just proves to really read the fine print real good, not just the bottom line!
Currently assuming the bent over position awaiting forum members kick in the butt! :poopstorm:

Think about how I feel. in Washington State, it would cost me 10.5% of the RETAIL value of my truck. When I moved here, to put WA plates on it would have been nearly $3,200. Now its more like $2,600. F-That. I will put TX plates on when I go back to TX and sport those for $150 initially and then $54 a year.

EXPRESSIVE 06-22-2012 03:34 PM

Wow I feel much better, at you guys expense of course! The tag fee is $122 for four years, inspections are $10 yearly. Im just a bit upset that OUT THE DOOR was not completely out the door. Next time I will be aware of the hidden parish tax cost and factor that into my deal. I really don't think I could have gotten them down anymore, the final price was agreeded upon after two days of back and fourth bargining, I think I pushed them as much as I could before a nosale.