DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Change Oil Light (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115669)

ND RAM 06-23-2012 07:48 PM

Change Oil Light

I've been getting the message to "Change The Oil" recently which is bogus because of the miles since I changed last.

I understand this has nothing to do with miles drive between changes.

However, to the left of the outside temperature display I noticed a symbol that looks like the number "1". I can't find any reference to this symbol in the manual.

When I went through the procedure to get rid of the "oil change" message, the number "1" disappeared also along with the message.

Any thoughts on this?:4-dontknow:

canamguy 06-24-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND RAM (Post 827748)
I've been getting the message to "Change The Oil" recently which is bogus because of the miles since I changed last.

I understand this has nothing to do with miles drive between changes.

However, to the left of the outside temperature display I noticed a symbol that looks like the number "1". I can't find any reference to this symbol in the manual.

When I went through the procedure to get rid of the "oil change" message, the number "1" disappeared also along with the message.

Any thoughts on this?:4-dontknow:

I believe what you see as the "1" is actually the letter "I" which stands for "Information" which is telling you there is a message on your EVIC which in this case was "change your oil." Mine is showing the same message and symbol right now but I don't know how to get rid of it. I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and the message showed up a few days later. What is the procedure to get rid of the message or is it in the manual where I can look it up?

crazychevy88 06-24-2012 12:50 AM

should be in the manual how to clear it, if not stopby or call your local quick lube. They know how to clear the oil change codes. I know em all up to 06, some are playing with the odometer (hondas) or pumping the gas pedal (chevy).

Bighert3rd 06-24-2012 12:57 AM

Turn ignition on, but don't start the vehicle. Pump the gas pedal 3 full times. Turn ignition off...message should clear. It's been a while since I did this, but I think that's the procedure.

GTyankee 06-24-2012 04:13 AM

Yep 3 times, i believe it reads within 10 seconds

I change my oil at 5,000 miles, so i have to do it between oil changes, my light comes on just before i get to 3,000 miles
If you look in your manual, it reads either 5,000 or 8,000 miles between changes, UNLESS you run a Taxi or other Heavy Duty Service

canamguy 06-25-2012 02:39 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll try it in the morning.:smileup:

fastNugly @ BP 06-26-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighert3rd (Post 827955)
Turn ignition on, but don't start the vehicle. Pump the gas pedal 3 full times. Turn ignition off...message should clear. It's been a while since I did this, but I think that's the procedure.

This is exactly it.
Did mine 2 weeks ago.

drew7811 07-06-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastNugly (Post 829510)
This is exactly it.
Did mine 2 weeks ago.

Worked on mine as well. My light just came on and this took care of it.