DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   hard downshift (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=115843)

Bent21606 06-25-2012 10:41 PM

hard downshift

my 2011 ram has a hard downshift. it kind or pops i guess you could say, it shifts fine going up threw the gears. i know its not normal because its noticeable, the truck has 43k on it anyone else have this?

hemi4life 06-25-2012 11:28 PM

I'd like to know as well
My Laramie has 21k and I find when u park or are parked and put it in gear or out gear it jumps its not smooth every time.

TransEngineer 06-27-2012 08:57 AM

Bent21606,

Are you talking about a coastdown shift (closed throttle, coming to a stop), or a kickdown shift (like when passing another vehicle)? Is it one particular shift (like a 4-3) that's hard? Or is it all of the shifts? Does this happen only occasionally, or every time? Does it happen both cold and warm?

mineralram 06-27-2012 10:43 AM

Mine does the samething on occasion, i mainly feel it when at highway speeds on a kickdown shift when trying to pass someone. It highly noticable

ArmyRXP 06-27-2012 11:52 AM

I had a bad hard shift going lower than 45mph but did a tranny flash and all is good now. See if your dealer can check on the flash and if it works.

Turbovsix 06-27-2012 03:07 PM

TransEngineer - my Ram developed a hard downshift coasting down from 50 coming to a stop, off the throttle. Not sure if that's what the OP was talking about, but mine seemed to develop after about 20k miles (I have 62k on it now). When I initially bought the truck, it always had more engine braking built into it than I'm used to with other vehicles, but now it's a jarring downshift (sometimes does it probably earlier than it should).

Again, don't mean to thread jack -

TransEngineer 06-27-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbovsix (Post 830198)
TransEngineer - my Ram developed a hard downshift coasting down from 50 coming to a stop, off the throttle. Not sure if that's what the OP was talking about, but mine seemed to develop after about 20k miles (I have 62k on it now). When I initially bought the truck, it always had more engine braking built into it than I'm used to with other vehicles, but now it's a jarring downshift (sometimes does it probably earlier than it should).

Again, don't mean to thread jack -

A consistent harsh coastdown shift may just be a Clutch Volume Index (CVI) value that has learned to an incorrect value, so the simplest thing to do (for starters) is to have your dealer run a quicklearn procedure on the trans. They do this with a scan tool (it takes less than a minute). The quicklearn resets all the trans adaptives to "factory" values, and then re-learns all the CVIs. So often that's a "quick fix" for a shift complaint.

I suspect your "engine braking" may be decel fuel shut off, although I'm not sure when that was introduced or which models it's on.

slikkwilly002 07-03-2012 03:10 AM

My sport is also doing the same thing, seemed to start after about 10,000 miles and I'm now at around 17,000... I figured it was just because it learned my driving habits, and how i use my "manual mode" to downshift like I'm some nascar driver LOL.

chilock 07-04-2012 01:26 PM

mine just started doing this. It is slowing down under 50 to 45 it downshifts pretty hard.
Never noticed this before. You say there is a tranny flash for it? I am out of warranty but do have the lifetime I added with the $100 deductable. would think they would check it for free......right?

TransEngineer 07-05-2012 08:40 AM

I'm not sure what the official policy is (or even if there IS an official policy), and of course "Our dealers are independent businesses and we have no control over what they do (blah, blah)..." But I would hope that most dealers would reflash your PCM (if a new update is available) at no charge. A reflash should also include a quicklearn. These procedures take only a few minutes, so even if they do charge you, it should not be a big amount.