DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Tint painting the tail lights on 97 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116034)

Kansaszj09 06-28-2012 05:22 PM

Tint painting the tail lights on 97

I am contemplating on painting my tail lights on my 97 5.9 Red Ram single cab, however I need opinions to fully make my decision. I know the tail lights have that strip going across the middle that is kinda grayish or light blackish, didn't know if it would like trashy painting it with Black smokey kinda lens tint since it has that strip, like whether or not to paint the whole light and the strip or just the Red part of the tail light avoiding the stripe? Anyone have a opinion or have a picture? Thanks.

nawojtko 06-28-2012 08:33 PM

do the whole thing. did mine last weekend with VHT night shades. looks sick and doesnt affect the light at all

Kansaszj09 06-29-2012 03:23 AM

Do you happen to have any pictures of what it all looks like?

InDeepWaterBlue 06-29-2012 03:45 AM

I'd paint the whole thing the same color. If you're going to VHT your tails you wouldn't really notice the black strip in the center and it'd make it look like it was more uniformed with the rest of the truck.

CaptJon 06-29-2012 03:50 AM

Cannot help but wonder if when having tinted tail lenses and someone rear ends you if they can win a lawsuit by claiming that your tail lights were not visible due to tinting. Did not hear of this yet but seems feasible.

InDeepWaterBlue 06-29-2012 05:53 PM

technically yes because "legally" lights are supposed to output a certain amount of light and are supposed to have that reflector in the.lens visible.from a certain distance. It varies by state as some are more strict than others. In Florida I can have the painted tails because my LED bar meets state requirements for rear illumination and tail light location, but in Cali I'd get a ticket for sure lol

Kansaszj09 06-30-2012 04:26 PM

You know that is a VERY good point, I haven't thought of that. I know on my Jeep I painted a light coat over the stock tail lights and luckily never had any one complain, I try to do it light enough to see the lights, i know people that have done it hella dark and haven't got a ticket yet surprisingly, I know in Kansas you are not allowed to fully tint your head lights. But thank you guys! I think am going to pass then on painting them, maybe ill just go out and buy some after market tail lights that are already like that.

nawojtko 07-08-2012 10:19 PM

dont have pics of mine but the lights actually didnt even look tinted unless they were completely turned off

hnrypat21 07-08-2012 11:54 PM

Tint them with the spray and with the money you saved by not getting new aftermarket smoked taillights buy LED bulbs they so much brighter that even during the day your brake lights are very noticeable

Big Green V10 07-19-2012 11:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Could always do this.