DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Headers and 14" magnaflow (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116348)

ILT 07-03-2012 06:59 PM

Headers and 14" magnaflow

Did more researching and watch some videos and the Fiancee likes the 14" magnaflow muffler better the the borla.

So now i am wondering if i should just swap out the muffler to a 14" magnaflow and put headers on?

If i decide to go this route what do i need? Should i go to a full kit or just swap out what i can? Can i delete the catalic converter on a 2012 ram?

Know nothing about exhaust so i need help. Shop is going to do the install but i want to buy all the parts and just get them to install. Live in Canada and prices are dirt cheap in the states compare to up here :smileup:

HEMI450HP 07-03-2012 11:01 PM

Since you are a 4th gen, you only have 2 options for headers...JBA shorty headers or ARH Longtube headers. The ARH's are going to make more power, but they come at a price. BBK is supposed to bereleasing their new style 4th gen headers in the next week or 2, and they are going to be the cheapest option. The JBA's and ARH's are made of stainless steel, and the BBK's are mild steel.

As for the muffler, the 14" sounds great. I ran one on my 03 and was very happy with the sound. Not too loud, but definately not stock. If drone is an issue for you, then I would leave the stock resonators in place with that muffler.

ILT 07-04-2012 01:05 AM

The 14" is the loudest of the magnaflow right? 18" is quieter then the 14"?

4x4Hemi 07-04-2012 01:17 AM

Yep 18" would be quieter then 14". Since you already have the dual exhaust for your sport you could just replace the muffler for around $125 + install of a half hours work. or you could get a whole new Cat-back system with mandrel bent piping for around $500 but i don't think magnaflow makes it with a 14" muffler sadly.

ILT 07-04-2012 02:06 AM

Plan is to just exchange the muffler since truck is new and with money i am going to save i want to get headers just not sure what i have to buy when i get the headers? Anything between the headers and muffler do i need?

HEMI450HP 07-04-2012 11:14 AM

If you decide to go with the ARH longtubes, they offer their own 3" y-pipe with or without cats. That will clamp straight onto your existing exhaust piping and then to your replacement muffler.

If yo go with shorty headers, they bolt up to your factory restrictive y-pipe. You dont have to upgrade the y-pipe to a better flowing Magnaflow, but I would highy recommend it.

BlackHemI 07-04-2012 03:15 PM

Just swap the muffler and do a y pipe. Our trucks stock piping other than the y in actually decent. So save the money and don't buy a cat back.

ILT 07-04-2012 04:58 PM

Thanks guys appreciate all the help!!! Now i need to start shopping

BlackHemI 07-04-2012 05:56 PM

Keep us updated with whatever you choose