DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   9.5 mpg (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116491)

BigHorns2011 07-06-2012 10:16 AM

9.5 mpg

This is a manual claclulation, not using the dash. This is city milage.

The best I have seen this truck get on the highway @ 65 MPH is 14.

We mentioned this to the dealer when we went in for our first oil change, he said do the manual calculation and if it is 10 or lower there is something wrong with the truck and to bring it in. Which I will be.

Any one else dealt with awful gas milage?

Gantman 07-06-2012 10:28 AM

You could try the battery terminal disconnect for at least 15 minutes to reset parameters. Then when you go out and drive for the ECU to relearn your habits; if they are conservative of course, hopefully you will see an improvement. If you are heavy footed like I try not to be because I like hearing the roar, then fuel mileage is going to suffer. As far as around town, I average 16.5 at speeds below 45mph and being pedal conservative. On the freeway, I have gotten 20-22mpg cruising around 72mph. Now if your in hilly terrain, again, these numbers will suffer due to the demand for pull power up them hills.

drew7811 07-06-2012 12:05 PM

Ouch man. Yeah 9.5 city is still pretty bad. Let us know what they find.

BigHorns2011 07-06-2012 12:06 PM

I live in FL. So it's flat LOL. I don't Grandma it all the time, but certainly not driving it like a nut job either. After all it is a HEMI.

Spoke to the dealership, they are going to update and reset the computer. I asked what's next if that does not fix it, they said there would be nothing else they can do. Great dealership huh? My fingers are crossed. If it can do no better than 10 MPG as a long term vehicle, I'm trading it in. Im my mind though it is clearly defective after reading through all the posts on here regarding gas milage.

ridgerunnerseoinc 07-06-2012 03:28 PM

Sheez, I get 10-13mpg with my 2500 quad cab long bed and I have lots of hills. Something is wrong for sure!

dkerr24 07-06-2012 05:23 PM

The absolute lowest mpg I've seen in my Hemi is 16.5. Never saw anything higher than 20... unless of course I cheat by resetting the mpg meter while cruising or decelerating.

Darin

Gantman 07-06-2012 05:58 PM

dkerr24; I was just as surprised and impressed with 22mpg as well. But we are talking filling up at a gas station right off the freeway, resetting fuel economy, getting back on the freeway from Austin to Dallas, hitting cruise at 70mph and lettin the Ram do her thing. Looking at my engine RPM's at 70, around 1600-1700 rpms, ECO running, with the 3.55 rear end, pretty flat all the way up. Oh you bet she is capable of that number. I hope you weren't implying me cheatin'? If you were, don't hate brother. I'll drive up to Oklahoma, pick you up, and drive down to Austin to let you witness the numbers........Hahaha! You mean to tell me my intake and exhaust are actually doing something good?! Damn, I thought they were just for sound!

BigHorns2011 07-06-2012 06:56 PM

Update, took the truck in. It did need a computer update for the O2 sensors. We filled it up on our way home and I was calculating it having less fuel in it than I thought so the actual milage total for the tank was 11.5 MPG. Still not nearly what I would like but better I suppose. They also informed me that I should see a jump in gas milage once the truck gets over 5,000 miles on it and that it's still breaking in. I read on another forum today that another Big Horn owner couldn't get it over 12 MPG, wonder why that is.......I sure hope it gets better. There is obviously no point losing 10 Grand to trade it in for a few more MPG. I love the truck, there is no better looking truck than a Ram and it will smoke any other sissy truck out there. I like to say that it will pass anything but a gas station HAHA!

GTyankee 07-06-2012 07:20 PM

you will see better MPG with more mileage

i suggest not using Drive in town, Drive equals MDS at about 28 MPH
all that shifting from 8 cylinders to 4 & back again eats gas
besides that strange sound it makes when driving between buildings while letting the MDS do its thing at low speeds, makes people on the sidewalk wonder why a new Ram is running so bad

DRamrod 07-06-2012 08:28 PM

I was getting around 11mpg when I had less than 2k on the truck. After the truck was broken in, my MPG's increased. I'm averaging highway and city around 15mpg, still not the greatest.