DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Seafoam advice (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116622)

Bent21606 07-08-2012 08:50 AM

Seafoam advice

Hey guys I have 43k miles on my truck And I'm coming up on a oil change and spark plug change so I want to seafoam my truck. They say dump about a 1/3 can directly in the intake (in assuming this is while it's running?) and to put some in your oil and about a can in the gas. Does that sound rite or should I just put a can in the gas and call it good?

Excoastie 07-08-2012 09:00 AM

There should be directions listed right on the can of SeaFoam. I used it as a fuel stabilizer in my motorcycle with mixed results. It didn't do much for making the bike run any better....

Why would you need to change your plugs out at 43K miles? Why would you want SeaFoam when there is nothing wrong with the truck?

I'm not sure about the 11's, but I know my owner's manual recommends to NOT use additives, be it for fuel, oil, or anything else.

Exco

Grubrunner 07-08-2012 10:26 AM

I absolutely love Seafoam!

I have commercial lawn equipment and use it on ALL of them all throughout the year to stabilize the fuel and make sure it all runs efficiently. Once my vehicles get over 40K miles, I use a can of Seafoam on every third fuel fill. Something I've been doing for about 5YRS now.

I've never added it anywhere other than the fuel tank on all my vehicles and equipment so I'm not sure about other places you're speaking of.

svt2026 07-10-2012 04:48 PM

1/3 into fuel tank,
1/3 into oil, change after driving with a 100 miles,
1/3 into a main vacuum line such as one coming off of the brake booster. This is done with the car running and will blow a ton of smoke. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. There are official seafoam release videos to.

GTyankee 07-10-2012 05:43 PM

If you are changing your oil on a regular basis, your engine is staying clean enough as far as the places that need oil
People seem to forget, the oil going into your crankcase has DETERGENTS in it
it is very difficult to find NON DETERGENT motor oil

Your fuel system on the other hand can get very dirty
if you don't change your air filter when it needs it, dirt is carried by the air flow & goes into your fuel system
Then even worse is the fact that the SMOG System pulls oil Vapor out of your crankcase, so that the engine can breathe, these vapors are put into your fuel system, supposedly to burn off when the spark plugs fire. Instead of actually burning off, they only cause the oil to char & build up carbon deposits. Sea foam or a similar product help to keep these deposits at a minimum. Of course a Catch Can will help to keep the oil vapors from entering the fuel system.

For those that have always had a smog system on their vehicles, before about 1968, vehicles did not have Smog Systems, the engines all had a Road Draft Tube, the engine crankcase breathed by allowing the excess pressure to release through the draft tube.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=327+e...:13,s:32,i:214

wbowyer 07-10-2012 11:02 PM

Don't use it in the crank case unless you actually need it (i.e. lifters or valves are stuck/sticking). Due to the higher quality of fuel and oil and electronic fuel injection there really isn't a point in using a product like this if you maintain your vehicle in accordance with the owners manual. Also, if you use this product and some damage results (directly or just occurs at the same time) you are SOL on your warranty.

I do some fuel system treatment with every oil change and once half way between oil changes out of habit. This is due in part to using synthetic oil (8k between changes) and I normally use it if I get some bad gas (typically an octane booster).

JHamilton 07-11-2012 02:07 PM

You can spray a little water in the intake and it will have the same effect.

Canviper 07-11-2012 02:45 PM

You tube is your friend everything is on there lol. Honestly a lot of how too's on You tube.

mdhunsche 05-13-2015 02:14 PM

Bringing this back because I also have a question. I have been hearing a tick in my engine, it goes away once the engine has been running for a few mins, runs fine. So I put some Seafoam in last night (following crankcase directions) and ran it a couple miles after, came home, let it sit. This morning I woke up and went to work and it started like it wanted to die, really rough, sounded almost like it wasn't hitting all cylinders, shaking. It went away after about 10 seconds, and started to run better, 30 seconds it was running fine, no issues.

Went to lunch, same thing, only to a much smaller degree (not nearly as rough a start). Planned on changing the oil tonight, but is this a sign of something worse? I'm tired of going to the dealer to overpay, but I'm happy to do it if it means keeping my truck running versus replacing an engine.

Anyway, any insight is appreciated

GTyankee 05-13-2015 02:48 PM

Do NOT put anything into your crankcase oil as long as you know the vehicle maintenance history

Now if you were buying an old vehicle or just an engine out of a wrecking yard, you might consider running a additive into the oil

I have used Sea Foam off & on, mostly in my gas tank, but i did put some directly into the throttle body, i won't be spraying the throttle body again

I have also had 2 Fuel Injection & Throttle Body cleanings done in the last 120,000 miles, the throttle body was removed & cleaned properly