DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   24" magnaflow too quiet??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116673)

snrusnak 07-08-2012 11:19 PM

24" magnaflow too quiet???

I'm finally ready to order a muffler and while I originally thought I'd get a 14" or maybe 18" muffler, I've decided that as much as I drive and travel I don't want obnoxious noise at cruise rpm's. I want it to sound good under load though. Is anyone out there using a 22" or 24" magnaflow? Is it still mean sounding at WOT?

Thanks.

HEMI450HP 07-08-2012 11:23 PM

I would go with the 18" and leave the resonators on there. This will give you options in case you think it is too quiet with the resonators in place. If you go with the 24" and it is too quiet, then you are stuck having to buy another muffler.

snrusnak 07-08-2012 11:25 PM

Didn't even think of that.....good point. I should say I don't intend to remove the resonator. I'd rather buy another muffler and swap it out....don't ask why but I'd rather do that lol. I will also be eventually changing out the y pipe for a maggy and then if anyone ever comes out with headers going that route. I know that's not a huge change in sound level but that's the whole plan.

What muffler do you have?

I only have experience with 14" maggy's on other vehicles(cars). My buddy's camaro sounds great with a 14" maggy, but it's way too loud for me to drive daily. It's so loud you can't even hear someone talk across in the other seat.

4x4Hemi 07-08-2012 11:27 PM

Well i have the 22" and its to quiet for my liking, but thats probably because I'm just a teenager who wants a loud truck haha. it sounds nice when you open it up, and it has a good deeper throaty feel for sure, It sounds a lot nicer then stock but won't turn a lot of heads

HEMI450HP 07-08-2012 11:28 PM

I have a diesel, so it isnt even close. I used to have an 03 hemi that I put a 14" Magnaflow on. It was quiet to me because I was used to running that truck with open headers. Of the trucks that I have heard with these mufflers, the 18" seems to be the sweet spot for a throaty sound at WOT without being obnixious.

snrusnak 07-08-2012 11:32 PM

4x4hemi, would you mind posting a video of your truck's sound?

4x4Hemi 07-08-2012 11:37 PM

My goodness shrusnak, you go around making me break my headlights and now you want me to take a video of my truck? what is this??

4x4Hemi 07-08-2012 11:37 PM

Yes ill do it haha

snrusnak 07-08-2012 11:38 PM

lol I didn't even recall that that was you....sorry :( reps for you for providing so much help!

Damn can't....will have to get you later lol. Just try not to break your exhaust while taking a sound clip :)

4x4Hemi 07-08-2012 11:41 PM

haha no problem man, anything to help :smile up: btw when i get the video up you won't really get the full effect as it is nicest sounding in 2nd-3rd gear, Rev limiter stops it at 4000 :(