DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Spindles? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116680)

MorePwr 07-09-2012 12:11 AM

Spindles?

I am guessing most of you are using the spring kits because they are cheaper, but how much has the ride changed?

I am old school lowrider, with several S-10s and B-Body GMs under my belt. The trucks always had spindles or lower control arms to start with then combined with springs for deeper drops. The spindle helps so much when it comes to alignments and tire wear.

So how come you aren't using spindle kits? :4-dontknow:

TheSatinPumpkin 07-09-2012 12:14 AM

Think for some it comes down to price.

For me i would do spindles over springs no doubt for ease of alignment. In my case i have both 2" spindles and 2" springs but im a 3G. My issue was mostly clearing 17's due to the spindle nut but a little trimming took care of that.

HEMI450HP 07-09-2012 12:29 AM

If your budget allows, McGaughy's spindles are the way to go. Not only will they retain a factory ride, but they also give you room to grow if you decide to go lower in the future. I only wish McGaughy's offered their kits with upgraded shocks.

CdnoilRAM 07-09-2012 12:36 AM

Anyone know for sure if the McG's 3rd gen spindles will fit the 4th gens? I thought there was a difference between the two and nobody has made a set for the 4th gens.

HEMI450HP 07-09-2012 12:51 AM

McGaughy's lists the same part# for the spindles from 02-11. Their spindle drop kits are the same though from 09-12, so I'm guessing they just havent updated the site yet.

MorePwr 08-04-2012 02:43 PM

So for those using spindles... If anybody has.... is the rear spring rate of McGaughys too soft? I want the stance dropped, ride mostly retained and load capability close. The future holds a 21ft boat....and several home improvement projects.

I know there are bag systems to assist the load, but that is another expense...I am looking at the 2/4 kits.

HEMI450HP 08-05-2012 06:41 PM

The rear spring rates are similar, but the distance between the axle and bumpstops will be significantly shorter. Because of this, I would recommend bags out back to help with the boat in tow.

2011redrt 08-06-2012 11:28 PM

Don't forget that the spindle kit pushes the front tire out, wider track. I do not like this aspect of the dodge spindle kits. I'll stay with springs.

Zevox 08-07-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI450HP (Post 858307)
The rear spring rates are similar, but the distance between the axle and bumpstops will be significantly shorter. Because of this, I would recommend bags out back to help with the boat in tow.

The McGaughy's spind kit comes with different bump stops.

I don't tow with mine so I can't really give insight(they decided not to order a hitch from the factory but yay I've got remote start -_-) but the ride with stock shocks is fine, obviously stiffer but not bad. They sell the rear shocks from the Belltech kit and I was considering buying those. Also, the McGaughy's kit has a track bar relocator unlike the Belltech kit so it pushes the rear end out to one side, from what I've heard.

Quote:

Don't forget that the spindle kit pushes the front tire out, wider track. I do not like this aspect of the dodge spindle kits. I'll stay with springs.
While the spindles do push your front end out a little bit, it's not that noticeable unless you really *look* at it. Luckily the little bit of offset the spindles provide helps to clear some SRT10 wheels since they take such a wide tire.

jlibert 08-09-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorePwr (Post 857460)
So for those using spindles... If anybody has.... is the rear spring rate of McGaughys too soft? I want the stance dropped, ride mostly retained and load capability close. The future holds a 21ft boat....and several home improvement projects.

I know there are bag systems to assist the load, but that is another expense...I am looking at the 2/4 kits.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/a0945ad7.jpg
this is the mcG spindle kit with roughly 1000 lb in the bed. You probably won't need airbags.
The only things I do not like about the spindles are the fact that they are made of uncoated steel which = weight and rust, and the fact that they increase the front track width. Otherwise, the ride quality is great, and no alignment issues after 5,000 mi.