DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bugs Void Warranty? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116707)

mike188 07-09-2012 12:11 PM

Bugs Void Warranty?

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. I bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 with the painted front and rear bumpers. Within a month of owningthe truck the paint of the front bumper started peeling off in big sheets. It seemed pretty obvious to me that there was some kind of a defect with the paint.

I called Dodge and they told me to take it to a Dodge dealership and have them look at it. I took it to the local dealer and the service department looked at it and took some pictures and told me that it may not be covered by the warranty. I asked them why and they said it was because I got bugs on the paint and that bugs are acidic and that is what caused my paint to peel and therefore more than likely it's just my problem and that I shold try to avoid bugs.

I told him this was the craziest thing I have ever heard of that there is no way I could drive down the road and avoid bugs. I was mad so I drove up to the front lot and asked one of the salesmen to come out and look at it. I explained to him what the service dept had just told me and he was shocked and said that was the craziest thing he had ever heard also. He cols see I was pretty mad so he had the sales manager come out and look at it. The sales manager came out and told me the whole bug theiry was bullshit and that my paint peeling was an abvious defect that should be repaired.

I went into his office and he called back to the service dept and they got into a heted argument about my bumper. Her then called the body shop and asked if my truck could go directly there and just bypass the service dept all together. They informed him that everything has to go through the service dept and then be approved by Dodge to see if they will honor the warranty or not. I guess this is something new.

They said the best that I could expect was a call from Dodge within a couple days. That was a few weeks ago and they haven't called me. I have called them a few times trying to get an answer and they won't give me one or return my calls.

It's starting to look like I'm stuck with severely peeling paint because I got bugs on the truck. Has anyone else had this problem?

BLKSVT 07-09-2012 12:24 PM

That SUX!!!! Question: When you took it in did it look like you drove through south Alabama at midnight and was covered with so called bugs? If not and it was reasonably clean I wonder why that moron would even say such a thing. IF it were me I would make an appointment with the dealership owner and dip somebodies ass in the grease and get my damn truck fixed....but thats me

SirGeorgeKillian 07-09-2012 12:41 PM

I would go in there with a flag in hand to throw. I am having a hard time imagining that the PH of the bugs on your grill would be lower than 6.0ish. And with that, not near the concentration that would cause what you are describing. If that were the case, you would see a ton of primer grey vehicles on the road....

BLKSVT 07-09-2012 12:48 PM

a 6ish pH is still acidic, BUT like Sir George said not enough to cause what you say is happening...bird crap will also cause paint issues as we all know.

TNC 07-09-2012 12:59 PM

Well, I'll give them credit for being creative in coming up with an excuse to cover bad paint...in a kind of weird, sci-fi sort of way...LOL! Their ridiculous assessment might be remotely arguable if the paint issues were in the vein of pockmarks and spots where this alleged acidic bug blood could have eaten spots in the paint. Paint that flecks off in pieces, however, is the classic failure to adhere to the prepared surface. While paint quality overall has diminished a bit with the stricter EPA regulations on paint compounds, it hasn't gotten to the stage of just watercolors on our vehicles that won't take any abuse.

Here in Texas we have tons of bugs. My '12 white Express constantly has bugs all over the painted front end body parts, and I go for long periods without washing the truck. After your post I went outside and examined my truck carefully. It's even standing up to rock/stone impacts extremely well. We also have these prehistoric looking grasshoppers that are huge and armored like an M1-Abrams tank. You can hear them hit the truck at 70mph, and you'd almost think they might crack the windshield on occasion. Even with that, I have no marks on the truck much less issues with the paint. Conditions are everything when a vehicle is painted, and my money would be on the issue of something being off just a bit during the painting process on the day your truck got painted...paint mix off, body prep not quite right, weather, etc.

SirGeorgeKillian 07-09-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLKSVT (Post 837867)
a 6ish pH is still acidic, BUT like Sir George said not enough to cause what you say is happening...bird crap will also cause paint issues as we all know.

Remember, PH is separate from concentration. Orange juice is around 3.

Think of it like this, if you have two fish in a ziplock bag you could say your PH was 2 and the concentration fairly high. Now dump that bag into a swimming pool. Still 2 fish, but much lower concentration. That is why if you have heart burn, drinking a glass of water will give you zero relief.

Sorry, chemistry lesion for the day is over.....

Bikenut 07-09-2012 02:17 PM

You could either:

1. Contact Dodge directly and report the idiots at the dealership and have the regional manager get involved.
2. Clean all the bugs off (and likely much paint) and then take it to another dealership and show them the area.

Got any pics?

Swaggerville Ram 07-09-2012 05:28 PM

That stealership guy deserves a slap.

GTyankee 07-09-2012 05:55 PM

Eggs may eat the paint off, but BUGS?

I would not have any paint on my Ram, the bugs are so bad where i travel, that i had to make a bug screen to keep them out of my cooling fins

this is a picture of the screen, i have to remove it to clean off the bugs

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2149/img0093s.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5764/img0094a.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1197/img0095v.jpg

:LOL:

Ram11 07-09-2012 08:40 PM

Thats some wild stuff,,, its always something ,,,