DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   2012 Leaking Oil (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116953)

Triton189 07-12-2012 08:02 PM

2012 Leaking Oil

Took my 2012 10,950 miles 5.7 Ram into the dealer again today after an oil change. The engine is leaking oil on the filter side? This is the second time back after the change as the 1st time back they stated it was just spilled oil when they took off the filter.

Today I went back again because I took a long trip yesterday and it should have been blown off,etc if this was the case. They changed the filter & let it run a little while looking for the leak. They also took a test drive around the block. When they got back & put it on the lift they said you are right it is leaking! However, they are not sure where yet. They were running a tracer through it when I left. Anyone know what it might be?

crusher 07-12-2012 08:17 PM

mine did that too but it was a bad oil filter, after they changed it it was ok

maybe they receive a bad batch of oil filter ,...

anyway if your not sastified with what they do you can always go to a different dealer to see what they says.

Triton189 07-12-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusher (Post 840393)
mine did that too but it was a bad oil filter, after they changed it it was ok

maybe they receive a bad batch of oil filter ,...

anyway if your not sastified with what they do you can always go to a different dealer to see what they says.

Thanks for the comment! I suspect it is something with the oil filter. They did change it to another one but maybe the second one was bad as well...? Dealer has been good so far so not looking to move yet. Could over filling be the cause of this? When I looked at it last night after my trip it looked to me as if it was leaking around the edges of the filter like it was not sealed properly...?

PaulMys 07-12-2012 10:19 PM

Dealers should not have this happen, but could it be that when they removed the old filter the gasket stayed in place and, then the new one was installed over the old gasket? I work on boats for a living, and I swear, 1 out of 3 oil filters do this when I change them!

stubie82 07-12-2012 10:24 PM

I had this happen on my 2010 1500 after an oil change. I got under the truck myself to look, and the lube guys who did the oil change didn't tighten the filter all the way. I went in and talked with the service manager directly. I got a free oil change out of the deal. I took it, but I decided I would never in my life go back for an oil change, but do it myself.
Good luck and hopefully it's just filter related.

Triton189 07-13-2012 01:10 AM

Dealer did the oil change as I will never take to one of those quick oil lube places. A young kid put a big dent in the hood of my black avalanche. I couldn't beleive when he dropped an elbow on it to close it! Would have made an MMA fighter proud.

In regards to the gasket still being on there from the previous change... I asked that question right away when I brought it back. Dealer actually took out the gasket from oil filter that was on my truck and showed it to me. He said it is almost impossible for that to happen with these new filters. He also wanted to take it out to look for nicks, cuts, etc. We both looked at it and it looked fine.

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate any perspective you may have.

dkerr24 07-13-2012 10:05 AM

As long as a thin film of oil is put on the oil filter gasket and the metal flange on the filter bracket is wiped clean, the oil filter gasket shouldn't stick when the filter is removed at the next change. I do this on every change and have never had a filter gasket get stuck.

Darin

crusher 07-13-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton189 (Post 840458)
Thanks for the comment! I suspect it is something with the oil filter. They did change it to another one but maybe the second one was bad as well...? Dealer has been good so far so not looking to move yet. Could over filling be the cause of this? When I looked at it last night after my trip it looked to me as if it was leaking around the edges of the filter like it was not sealed properly...?

no over filling would not cause that unless they put 10 gallons of oil in it,... lol

it is most liketly something to do with the filter either a bad filter, not proprelly put on or tighten or something similar to that.

if you have a basic mecanic skill you could go buy a good filter at napa or other part store and change it your self, clean were it seals and make sure theres no old gasket stuck there before you put the new filter on

by the way if you do this be prepare to protect your dirve way, the old filter will leak a little bit when youll take it off,

Asur 07-13-2012 11:44 AM

I do it all myself unless under warranty, I do my oil changes every 5600klm, first one was at 3000klm, I take pics of the dash, the products used and keep all paper work, I have had numerous dumb ass experiences with Dealers and there 11$ an hr service idiots, If I can't do it myself, then I will try and be there standing next to the guy while he's doing it. My Experiance has been the smaller the dealer, the more they are willing to help and do a good job.

blackram12 07-13-2012 08:18 PM

The seal on the mopar filters come off very easy. Could have been pinched or anything. I bought my first and last mopar filter last weekend.