DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Differential blew up (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=117024)

Fry 07-13-2012 11:46 PM

Differential blew up

So I found out today the 2005 dodge ram hemi has a peice of crap for a differential/transfer case. Had it out at silver lake sand dunes and it blew up on the exit ramp. Anyone know of a good way to upgrade the used front end I'm getting ready to put in it? If not, I'm trading it in and getting something more durable.

ArtNJr 07-14-2012 03:54 PM

IMHO if you're going to push a pickup hard, getting a 1500 is "like bringing a knife to a gunfight". I've run the bloody mortal hell out of my 1998 2500 4x4 diesel on & off-road & haven't broken anything on it -- Dana 60 front end, Dana 70 rear, etc. -- it was made to carry heavy loads & to be driven off-road. Only major problem I've had is with the blankety-blank Bosch VP44 injector pump that everybody knows about now, but didn't back in 1998 & Dodge changed the fuel system in 2002, so the newer diesels don't have the fuel pump failure problem. To me, a 1500 is a car with a big trunk -- takes a 2500 (or 3500) to really handle hard work / hard play & the diesel models will run circles around the gasoline models while getting much better fuel mileage & lasting a heck of a lot longer too.

RamNJ 07-14-2012 04:18 PM

I was just wondering were there any signs of your diff blowing up on you? I'm having some problems with my diff too.

frickenbored 07-14-2012 05:42 PM

Silver Lake!!! I love that place, I go at least 10 times a summer. As for your diff...that sucks

CdnoilRAM 07-14-2012 08:40 PM

The front diff is a weak point in the 1500s for hardcore offroading, no company will make an aftermarket replacement for it either. Best bet is a 2500 with a solid front axle.

GTyankee 07-14-2012 08:53 PM

I was just reading your other post on the same subject
so forget what i posted in there

You answered my questions in this post

Randy's Ring & Pinion may have the right answers, as far as what years are interchangeable
i went into their website & it only comes up as a 8 1/4"
i believe the website is wrong, i was thinking it was a 9 1/4" , but i could be incorrect

Gantman 07-14-2012 08:57 PM

Wow Art....You sound like a great salesman for Cummins bud. Don't hate on the man for trying with his Ram. Would like to know what caused the blow up though. Did the diff breather hose clog up on the rear diff?

Fry 07-14-2012 08:58 PM

I learned the hard way artNJr... Now i just need to find a replacement pumpkin for it. I'm pulling it out tomorrow after I get back from retuning the trailer tomorrow in Hart.

No there wasn't any signs of it going out... I may have heard a clunk when turning but thought it was a bad tie rod. I think your best bet would be to look at the fluid for any shavings. There is a filler hole on the top you can stick your finger in like a dip stick. Make sure your truck isn't running. Lol

Yea silver lake is freakin awesome!! We go every year...

Fry 07-14-2012 09:09 PM

Right on Gantman... I not sure man. I was on the exit hill in 4hi cuz it was really Peakid all day. Jeeps were getting stuck on it left and right. I took the exit hill just fine earlier in the week. I think it was already going out and that was just the last straw. 156K miles on it and I bought it used last year. I had Joe up at Paul's towing look at it and he said someone has already been in the diff. Not sure if he's correct and the dealership I bought it from failed to tell me or maybe nobody ever changed the diff fluid (which I just learned it needed to be changed at 60k miles. Where could I find a replacement?

Fry 07-14-2012 09:11 PM

I did get a nice pic of the truck on top of a hill at sunset when I took the wife out there to watch it... Lol. That'll prolly be the last time that truck hits the dunes. I'm gonna work on getting 4 seater rail to take up there... Or get a jeep with a hemi in it.