DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Ugh-- "Wobling" (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=117073)

panhead 07-14-2012 06:57 PM

Ugh-- "Wobling"

Been trying to pin point this issue for awhile, kinda got it narrowed down by replacing some beat, worn out parts. Still haven't solved it. I own a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500, light duty 4x4. Happens between 66 and 68 MPH. It was worse before replacing the drum's. Had the tires balance twice. For some odd reason, I feel the kid that installed my tires did a half ass job. I got a very slightly bent wheel but was told that wouldn't be the issue. Several months ago I found out I have been running the transfer case dry. FYI, if you buy a highly used truck. Check all the fluids. Anyway, I don't think that could be the issue. Any input is welcome, its ****ing annoying having to deal with it.:box:

ArtNJr 07-14-2012 07:16 PM

I've got a '98 2500 4x4 & I'm going to assume yours has a "track bar" up front like mine does -- the joint on the end of it wears out & the truck wants to "weave" going down the road in a straight line. It's not real bad, but it is irritating & the bad part is Dodge will only sell you the bar -- upwards of $300 last I checked. But if you can take it off & just replace the joint or have it done @ a local shop you'll solve that problem for a lot less $$$.

panhead 07-14-2012 07:20 PM

Actually the track bar is tight, along with the front end. Gotten the track bar 2 years ago and its still tight. Its from TRW and only paid $150 for it.

ArtNJr 07-14-2012 07:24 PM

Then I'd have to say bent wheel -- you were told it wouldn't be a problem but it is. I can't say if that's the only thing, but it's certainly a known variable that you can eliminate from the equation!

panhead 07-15-2012 09:11 AM

I've honestly thought about getting new wheels.

Warlock III 07-15-2012 04:08 PM

Did you try rotating the tires/wheels to see if that helped?

panhead 07-15-2012 06:06 PM

I did that to no avail. I did find out that I do have a clunking noise coming from the wheel so it maybe the wheel bearing. I will be checking it out sometime next week.

ArtNJr 07-15-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhead (Post 842475)
I did that to no avail. I did find out that I do have a clunking noise coming from the wheel so it maybe the wheel bearing. I will be checking it out sometime next week.

I don't know how much difference there is between your "light duty" '96 model & my "heavy duty" (8800 lb. gvw) '98 model, but I will tell you something I learned when changing front wheel bearings. When mine started "singing" on the left front I called the dealer real quick just to get an idea on wheel bearing price / availability & was told oh no, you can't buy just the bearings, the 4x4 front hubs are a "sealed" unit & you have to buy the whole thing -- for $850 !! Well, I might have been born @ night but it wasn't last night, just 4 bolts hold the hub assembly together & if you can bolt it together you can take it apart, so I took it apart.

Once I got the inner & outer bearings out & wiped 'em clean I called a Bearings, Inc. type place with the numbers stamped on the bearings to see if they had 'em -- yep, 3 of one which cost $13 in stock & 5 of the other which cost $15 in stock. Now I did have to buy a special impact socket for the king nut on the spindle & I also had to buy a big 3-jaw puller to take the assembly apart, but all-in-all I spent the better part of a day & around $100 to replace front wheel bearings -- instead of $850 per side for just the parts !!! Neither Dodge nor anybody else makes their own bearings, they use commonly available ones which a Bearings, Inc. type business should have all the time & don't cost very much, so don't let a dealer parts counter guy fool you with the "it's a sealed, non-serviceable unit" story !!

knappk6 07-15-2012 06:27 PM

how about an unbalanced drive shaft?

panhead 07-15-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtNJr (Post 842492)
I don't know how much difference there is between your "light duty" '96 model & my "heavy duty" (8800 lb. gvw) '98 model, but I will tell you something I learned when changing front wheel bearings. When mine started "singing" on the left front I called the dealer real quick just to get an idea on wheel bearing price / availability & was told oh no, you can't buy just the bearings, the 4x4 front hubs are a "sealed" unit & you have to buy the whole thing -- for $850 !! Well, I might have been born @ night but it wasn't last night, just 4 bolts hold the hub assembly together & if you can bolt it together you can take it apart, so I took it apart.

Once I got the inner & outer bearings out & wiped 'em clean I called a Bearings, Inc. type place with the numbers stamped on the bearings to see if they had 'em -- yep, 3 of one which cost $13 in stock & 5 of the other which cost $15 in stock. Now I did have to buy a special impact socket for the king nut on the spindle & I also had to buy a big 3-jaw puller to take the assembly apart, but all-in-all I spent the better part of a day & around $100 to replace front wheel bearings -- instead of $850 per side for just the parts !!! Neither Dodge nor anybody else makes their own bearings, they use commonly available ones which a Bearings, Inc. type business should have all the time & don't cost very much, so don't let a dealer parts counter guy fool you with the "it's a sealed, non-serviceable unit" story !!

Not much a difference. My light duty is just basically a HD 1500 with 8 lug axles. Same axle and frame you'll find under a 1500. My hubs only require 3 bolts, the HD 2500's are 4. There is a very well known wheel bearing company. You're right about the dealer being expensive but I had replace the whole hub assembly on the pass side for $400 with a warranty. Company is call Timken, they also make bearings for rigs and the railroad. Only thing that's a pain in the ass is pounding out all 8 studs to remove the rotor and wheel hub/bearing assembly. :LOL: When I did work on the front end, the drivers side wheel hub bearing actually looked original and I know it isn't going to last long with the roads being the way they are around here.