DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Oil and Oil Filter (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=117462)

WhiteRam2006 07-19-2012 07:51 PM

Oil and Oil Filter

Is there any truth behind Fram oil filters and certtain brands of oil hurting mopar vehicles? 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

CaptJon 07-19-2012 08:01 PM

I say no. Any brand oil will work just fine. Its more about using the correct viscosity. Not a fan of fram filters after reading a few 100 oil filter test results. The fram did not do well. I also spent a few months reading oil test reports and decided for myself that I like synthetic oil better but regular ol Dino oil works.

Butter 07-20-2012 01:07 AM

I put over 200,000 miles on a 97 silverware 5.7 running Mobile1 synthetic and a Fram oil and air filters.....I'm also running it my Hemi. If you run a synthetic oil just make sure your using an extended life oil filter.

Butter 07-20-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJon (Post 845917)
Not a fan of fram filters after reading a few 100 oil filter test results. The fram did not do well.

I don't want to start an argument but when they test a basic Fram filter against something like a Wix or Napa Gold the test is a little scewed IMO.

Honestly if could get a Wix filter without drive an hour to get it thats what I would run. Regardless of what brand filter you use don't go cheap!

RyanJM 07-20-2012 01:31 AM

I run synthetic in my cabalt ss, trans am and my ram. get a little longer life out of it and for the cobalt it's recommended so I do it for warranty reasons as well. main this is what was already stated the viscosity it what you have to check get right some oil brands maybe a bit better but never had one kill my cars yet. I ran normal oil and fram filters in my 91 explorer and 91 Celica and the explorer still ran great at 150k when I sold it and the Celica had over 300k and was a daily driver. I have to say over 300k cause the odometer stopped working before the car. I have had many mor bad gas related problems than oil.

ridgerunnerseoinc 07-20-2012 08:38 AM

Nothing wrong with the Fram XG (Extended Guard) filters. They are built very well. I run them on everything I own. Even the Tough Guard filters are good. U can keep the rest of the Fram line up though.

CaptJon 07-20-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 846163)
I don't want to start an argument but when they test a basic Fram filter against something like a Wix or Napa Gold the test is a little scewed IMO.

Honestly if could get a Wix filter without drive an hour to get it thats what I would run. Regardless of what brand filter you use don't go cheap!

I don't argue with people about religion, politics, and oil. Most have already made up their mind on what works for them. I did only after reading as much as I could stand on the subject and not just in the auto industry. I am in the marine industry so I had the privilege of reading test results from my company compared to several others. The engines we use cost 80k each and we have 150 of them now so oil analysis are important.

My girlfriends dad (25 years ago)use to get his friends used oil and filter and change his with it in his Chevy truck. He purchased it new and ran it over 300k before selling it for a new truck. I watched him change it a few times. Looked like black water.

Everything I know now tells me that's a really bad idea and I know I would never do that but I can never forget that he did and with several trucks from what I was told.

I just don't do opinions. I'm more of a fact type of person. I also split several filters and the fram just did not look good to me. There are plenty of better options even for those who wish to not spend their entire allowance ( I'm married to a saver so I'm watched) on a filter.

Grubrunner 07-20-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 846162)
I put over 200,000 miles on a 97 silverware 5.7 running Mobile1 synthetic and a Fram oil and air filters.....I'm also running it my Hemi. If you run a synthetic oil just make sure your using an extended life oil filter.

Absolutely.

However, if you're changing your synthetic oil on a regular basis - without the "normal" extended oil change intervals most synthetic owners will do - then a non extended life oil filter is fine.

Read thru THIS link when you get the opportunity and come to your own conclusion. Yeah the thread's about 4YRS old, but nonetheless there's still a TON of very good information and links.

For the record, I've only EVER used Amsoil, Wixx and Royal Purple oil filters.

dodge man 07-20-2012 01:15 PM

I've gone to Amsoil and there filters for most of my vehicles. I do this so I can change the oil less often more than anything else. I change the oil once a year in my vehicles, no matter what the mileage, as long as it doesn't get much over 15,000 miles.

I've read all the bad stories about Fram filters. Is it true they are built cheaper? Probably. Does it hurt anything to use them, probably not, but when I do run over the counter filters, I've been buying Napa Gold Filters, its only a few buck more.

If I change oil every 6 months, I woulnd't run synthetic. It doesn't pay to run sythetic if you still change the oil often and at low miles.

snrusnak 07-20-2012 01:20 PM

For most normal people any oil and filter will do the job. some people like to go further. There are better oils and filters, and I agree that fram filters(the cheap ones) suck. Cardboard does not make a good seal and thin leaf springs lose pressure with time. JMO. But, using a fram filter will not cause engine failure or really even damage. Just isn't as good as some better products that may extend life a little more.