DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Trouble changing shocks... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=117889)

elinmon1976 07-25-2012 04:18 PM

Trouble changing shocks...

Any one have any tips on how to get the bolts out of the bottom front shock mounts? I have tried hammers, to no avail. Is there something I'm missing here?

valleyoaks 07-26-2012 07:06 AM

just did mine yesterday,keep unscrewing the bolt is long and held by a retainer on other side,still got a noise in front end as all my parts are new except control arms and the bushings are in good shape

elinmon1976 07-26-2012 11:20 AM

Ok that makes sense...so keep unscrewing the bolt after the nut on the other side is off?

elinmon1976 07-27-2012 07:45 PM

Ok, guys...I have changed the passenger side shock...Bolt just unscrewed all the way out.
Driver's side the bolt will unscrew the retainer nut but the bolt will NOT unscrew out of the shock mount at all...I have tried using a hammer, air hammer, and I turned the bolt for about 15 minutes...nothing...
Is there a nut welded on the inside of the A-arm? Maybe that has come loose and that is why the bolt won't come out?

Warlock III 07-27-2012 08:05 PM

Sounds like a combination lock.

You're probably going to have to use a combination of putting pressure on it and spinning it at the same time. Sometimes the bolts get worn down by the rubber and it creates a groove. Try applying pressure in the outward direction and spinning it at the same time.

valleyoaks 07-28-2012 06:19 AM

a jack or someone to help put pressure on the side of the truck as to wiggle the bolt out,,if you beat on it you may end up having to get a new bolt as you will damage the threads

joelwalls 07-28-2012 12:12 PM

i had the same problem passenger side was easy driver side i used a good size hammer and a pinbar luckily i didnt damage threads but bolts r cheap. goog luck

Warlock III 07-28-2012 12:42 PM

Are you swinging the hammer like a little girl? :drv: JK

I have an old pry-bar (they actually make 'em now) that I ground a "V" in the end. I get it under the head of the bolt to apply pressure and tap the other side.

It usually winds up with the pry bar coming perilously close to my teeth on at least one pass or narrowly missing my head. I thought it may be important to mention that to you.

elinmon1976 08-01-2012 01:08 PM

Naw, Warlock, I'm wacking the thing like hell...I tried the prybar....came at me flying a couple of times but I was expecting that...
Funny thing is, if you tighten the bolt (not using the retainer nut) the thing will actually TIGHTEN UP....I'm planning to try this again with a buddy this weekend so it will either come loose, or we will break something important...LOL!!

BLKSVT 08-01-2012 01:15 PM

Your gonna have to have pressure as your unscrewing it...