DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   AC/Heat Problems. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118241)

dmathews338 07-30-2012 05:38 PM

AC/Heat Problems.

Hi guys. I am not really mechanically inclined. I just bought a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 last year. It seems to have a small Antifreeze leak. Ive had it for roughly 15 months and only placed one bottle in it. Short story, Last winter my Heat would not work when turning the truck on and idling. When i was driving it would take 10-15 minutes for it to defrost and heat. I took it to a shop and it was blowing heat fine and they could find nothing wrong....

Fast forward to today. I get off work my AC doesnt blow very hard to begin with, stop at sheetz to get a cold beverage turn my truck on and my AC is not working. It is not blowing cold air, any kind of air. I can not hear any blower running... I do not know whats wrong, nor do I begin to know where to look. All i know is, the vent, the middle registers, or the floor registers are not blowing cold air or heat. Please Help !!!

07TORAMU 07-31-2012 06:45 AM

HI,
nothing worse than no a/c on hot day,ok few thing i will walk u step by step to save u few dollars,
get test light test all fuses,with a/c full blast go to a/c (comp) high/low pressure lines feel them (the high and low pressure have caps) then while a/c still going full blast,the a/c clutch on (comp) should be popping in and out....also remove the glove box,look for blower motor or any sounds,fuse/relay could of stopd it or just need replaceing. u can go to ur page lower left (paid subscriptions) become a sight supporter if u can,then u can send me (private msg) i will do my best to help you out,i hope this kinda put u in correct direction....good luck.....and welcome to ram,forumzzzzzz......

starquestbd22 07-31-2012 11:07 AM

If you do not hear the blower motor at least trying to run when you turn the fan on then that is likely the primary issue. The question, of course, is why is it not running? Obviously, check all your fuses really well. If nothing else stopped working and the fuses check good then my guess would be one of three things.....the fan motor itself, the fan control switch, or the fan motor resistor.

The fan motor is under the passenger side dash area and is actually easy to get to without removing the glove box or anything else. It should be held in by three phillips head screws and an electrical plug. I think it has three wires running into the plug. If you can figure out which ones are the positive and the ground wires then you can jump 12V to it and see if it works. Keep your fingers out of the way, lol. If it doesn't run, you probably found the problem. If it does......

I personally don't know exactly how to test the control switch. I would assume you will need to remove that panel but leave the switch hooked up. I would think you could use a tester to make sure the switch is getting power and also see what is coming out of it when you turn it on. If power is going in but nothing is coming out, I would say replace the switch. If no power is getting in (with the ignition on) your problem is either a fuse or wiring prior to the switch. If that all checks good....

I don't know much at all about the blower motor resistor but I remember reading about it being a fairly common failure. Maybe talk to a mechanic about that part or Google it...if you spend enough time looking you will find posts about it. Hope this helps and good luck!!

***Edit*** I did a quick search and it looks like the resistor pack is located right beside the blower motor under the dash. Should be a small electronic box with a plug attached. I still don't know how to test it but if you test everything else and it tests good at least you know where to find it, lol.