DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Thinking outside the Box (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118528)

Crobber 08-03-2012 12:02 AM

Thinking outside the Box

Thought I would share for everyone who does their own wiring.

Extension cords = three 12 gauge wires.
You can cut the ends off of a extension cord and use the wires inside. (either two power and a ground or 1 power, 1 ground, 1 remote. etc...)
I particularly use it for lights that sit in the back of the truck.
Friend of mine just cut one end off. So he can just plug in a light when he needs it and unplug it and toss it in the tool box when he doesnt. (its a led driving light that works great)

brad12kx 08-03-2012 02:51 AM

This is great IF the extension cord actually has 12ga wire.....most don't, but if you do have one that you got cheap, it is a great source of 3 colors of stranded wire. :smileup:

Excoastie 08-03-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 856460)
This is great IF the extension cord actually has 12ga wire.....most don't, but if you do have one that you got cheap, it is a great source of 3 colors of stranded wire. :smileup:

good point, but all extension cords should be at least 14 gauge wire. I'm a little rusty, but I think the electric code requires a minimum of 14 gauge for all 120V circuits, this should be good for most 15 amp applications

Exco

Crobber 08-03-2012 09:16 PM

Its particulary used as a heavy duty wire. Something I can throw around in my truck. Being its an extension cord after all. Just make shifted it to my needs.
You may be correct with it being 14 guage. I was just told it was 12 and I had no need to second guess nor did it really matter to me at the time.
But I Figured it this way. a 50 ft extension cord runs about 40 bucks. 50 ft of 12 gauge wires runs about 15 bucks. so 15 x 3 (3 wires in an extension cord) is 45 bucks.
It has its pros and cons.

2011 ASSAULT 800 08-03-2012 10:43 PM

14 gauge is good for 15 amps. Extension cords are also good for redoing trailer wiring!

brad12kx 08-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 856596)
good point, but all extension cords should be at least 14 gauge wire. I'm a little rusty, but I think the electric code requires a minimum of 14 gauge for all 120V circuits, this should be good for most 15 amp applications

Exco

"Should be" - I agree 1000%!

As I look at extension cords everywhere from WalMart to NAPA, most are 16ga and many are 18ga! :wow: IMO this should NOT be allowed and should be minimum 14ga so the cord can safely handle the full load of the electrical circuit right to the point the breaker trips.

All cords (3 wire) will have the wire size marked on the outside about every 3' or so. It will be something like '14/3'. This indicates gauge/# of conductors.

If you find one marked 12/3, you have a portable cord that will handle anything your standard electrical outlet can throw at it AND is a great source of 12ga wire which will comfortably handle 20 Amps. :)

ShawnC13 08-04-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 857402)
"Should be" - I agree 1000%!

As I look at extension cords everywhere from WalMart to NAPA, most are 16ga and many are 18ga! :wow: IMO this should NOT be allowed and should be minimum 14ga so the cord can safely handle the full load of the electrical circuit right to the point the breaker trips.

All cords (3 wire) will have the wire size marked on the outside about every 3' or so. It will be something like '14/3'. This indicates gauge/# of conductors.

If you find one marked 12/3, you have a portable cord that will handle anything your standard electrical outlet can throw at it AND is a great source of 12ga wire which will comfortably handle 20 Amps. :)

I agree with you there Brad it is brutal how many times you see an 18 ga extension cord. 16 is bad enough. I honestly don't even like 14 especially if you start getting any distance in the cord. Where I work we wire all 15A circuits with 12 ga, just a standard they decided on and it is a good one. Now in future when like microwaves are drawing more easy to switch the 15 breaker to a 20 and change out the receptacle and good to go. Most cords you will buy will be 16 or 18 and I don't know how they are allowed on the market.