DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   tips to improve ride quality/steering? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118532)

benfica619 08-03-2012 12:26 AM

tips to improve ride quality/steering?

what have you guys done to improve ride quality?

just finished installing 35's and i noticed steering is much more difficult. it's nothing that i didnt expect when installing larger tires but am now seeking on fixing it.

the steering wheel likes to jerk sometimes and it's not as easy to stay straight and steady and make quick turns.

ive read up on dual steering stabilizers and would like to get others thoughts and recommendations on these?

maybe better shocks? i already have a set of rough countries in the front? maybe i should install some in the rear?

any other tips to improve driving and pro long suspension life and health will be extremely helpful.

im still a noob to this and appreciate any help and info i receive, thanks.

benfica619 08-03-2012 11:35 PM

.......................................anybody?

benfica619 08-05-2012 01:26 AM

.........."cricket"....."cricket"...........

guess not huh :(

any info would be really helpful

BigZach 08-05-2012 02:29 AM

I have 33"x12.50" General Grabbers on my '98 and it does the same thing your 35s do but not as bad. Mine just needs a new steering box and a steering stabilizer. Did you replace the ball joints, tie rods etc?

benfica619 08-05-2012 03:19 AM

thanks for the response!:)

i purchased the truck with 170k and it now has 176k. i have only had it for half a year and a small portion of it's life. i personally have not done any work besides exterior mods, audio, and replace a blown rear end. so i have not changed anything and am not aware of how to tell whether the ball joints/tie rods were replaced recently.

dont let my truck fool you. to be honest, im still very new to the auto world and basicly learn as i go. so general terms and explanations are great because i really dont even know what those things are/do.

so you think dual stabilizers and a steering box, tie rod, and ball joint (whatever those things are) replacement would solve my issue?

sorry for the noobish question. but hey...we all got to learn somehow, sometime, somewhere ;)

BigZach 08-05-2012 05:11 AM

This is a good site to learn about these trucks. If I where you I would get underneath the front of your truck and have someone turn the wheel back and forth to see where all the play is in your steering. How high is your truck lifted? Is your truck 4x4?

benfica619 08-05-2012 11:13 AM

my truck is supposedly lifted 3 inches with a factory lift? and yes, it's a 4x4

BigZach 08-05-2012 10:02 PM

I haven't used this product but it looks like it will help a lot specially with larger tires like you have. I would replace the steering box before. Have you taken your truck down for a alignment? http://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/

JeffreyCH 08-06-2012 03:07 PM

On top of what the others have said, check your sway bar bushings and links. These are easy, fairly inexpensive, and make a significant difference in the way a truck handles. Dual stabilizers will help, or at least a new one. The best way to check your front end is to jack it up, grab the tire on the top/bottom and try to wiggle it, if it wiggles your ball joints are worn. Then grab the front/back of the tire, try to wiggle it, if it wiggles that would indicate tie rod/pitman/steering link wear. You should grab a service manual and study the diagrams of the front end componants, it will make getting advice and asking questions easier.

umrminer98 08-13-2012 09:38 PM

I just put 305/70/16s on my truck, there is a noticiable steering difference but not as bad as what you are saying. I have gone through a lot of front end parts though. If you decide to do a bunch of work such as ball joints you're going to need a ball joint press and a pickle fork. Also on my 96 once you get the wheel bearing off you go from metric bolts to SAE. Just some food for thought. Good Luck.