DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Spyntech (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118622)

glcarter 08-04-2012 07:30 PM

Spyntech

Looking at the Spyntech lockout conversion for my 2011 2500.
Has anyone used this kit?
Any down falls to this kit?
How much of a difference did it make on fuel milage?

Bikenut 08-04-2012 11:46 PM

what is it? I'm curious now :)

Txhillbilly 08-05-2012 09:10 PM

That looks like a well made set-up,and it's several $$$ cheaper than the Dynatrac kit's
I'm going to look hard into this kit.I hate all of the cheap bearing set-up's that all of the Mfg's have gone to just to save money,and pass on the cost/headache to the consumer when they fail.

Bikenut 08-05-2012 10:05 PM

ok, I googled :)

Pretty cool, Ill keep this in mind if/when I need them

glcarter 08-08-2012 06:52 PM

Figure it has to save some fuel, and a lot of wear and tear on the front axle. Not turning everything all the time, may as well put a full time transfercase in the truck, couldn't be too much harder on fuel mileage than the stock setup.

glcarter 02-22-2014 08:01 AM

Finally pulled the trigger, ordered the Spyntech shorty kit for my truck last Sunday from www.rpmoffroad.com . Fedex is suppose to deliver it today.

Hope to put it on in the next few weeks. will report back as how the install goes and hopefully be able to report some real world fuel mileage numbers by next fall. Currently I am getting 12-14mpg hand figured, hoping to get up to 14-16mpg minimum afterwards. If I can pick up 2mpg I will be happy, should only take 50-60,000 to pay it off just from fuel.

Even less than that when you figure in the reduced wear and tear from not turning the axles, differential, drive shaft, and some of the parts inside the transfer case all the time.

DonT 02-22-2014 09:06 AM

I think you will find it will make very little if any difference in fuel mileage. I doubt it will ever pay for itself in fuel savings. If you were to install a real front locker it would make a difference in the lifetime of the front end but with an open differential it won't matter.

glcarter 02-22-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonT (Post 1338060)
I think you will find it will make very little if any difference in fuel mileage. I doubt it will ever pay for itself in fuel savings. If you were to install a real front locker it would make a difference in the lifetime of the front end but with an open differential it won't matter.

With the current setup you cannot put a full time locker in the front end, or even a limited slip. You would not be able to turn. The guys on the Cummins forum are reporting 1-2 mpg and I figure the difference in torque between gas and diesel should make even a more profound difference.

Even with an open differential you are turning everything all the time when in 2 wheel drive. Just try turning the drive shaft with the truck on the ground. This is why older trucks used lock outs.

Another big advantage is the fact you get rid of the junk unitized wheel bearings. I had mine on my last truck go out at 80,000 miles and left me stranded on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. The started making noise 20 miles before they went out and I was still 25 miles from home when they failed.

Figure I can repack and check my bearings every 30,000 mile when I am changing spark plugs and not have worry about the front wheel falling off.

Also it will allow the u-joints in the front axle to last a lot longer as they will not have to turn while the trucks turning. I am going to replace the current u-joints with serviceable ones while I am at it also.

glcarter 02-22-2014 05:54 PM

Packages arrived, opened them up quick enough to take a quick look. The hubs are huge! measure 4 3/8" across. Figure I will have to figure out a way to drill a 4 1/2" hole in my center caps for them. Came with Mile Marker lockouts. Everything looks well made and machined. Will try to post pictures later when I get to putting them on. Might be a while as I still have the kids Sportster tore apart in the shop.

battlerattle 02-22-2014 07:09 PM

I have had the kit for over a year now. You wont be disapointed. PM me if you need any install help. If you have any questions ask here for everybodies bennefit.

http://www.ramforumz.com/picture.php...pictureid=5387