DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Military (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Navy Fed vs My Bank (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118909)

SilentService 08-08-2012 05:44 AM

Navy Fed vs My Bank

Hey anyone who has already been there, should I go with Navy Fed or just keep my existing bank account?

GTyankee 08-08-2012 09:42 AM

Credit Unions are the way to go

I don't have to pay for Cashiers checks, bank cards, or much else
they watch my money, not take it.
I just had to let them know that i was going on a cross country trip, including Ontario Canada & the approximate dates that i would be out of town.
Otherwise they would put a HOLD on my account & that is not fun when your sitting at a gas station & no cash in your pocket

When i applied for a loan for my Ram, no banks even came close to the interest rate that i received. MY credit union only came close to what another Credit Union charged me

navystg2 08-08-2012 10:30 AM

I have Navy Fed and they've been great. They gave us two choices in basic training, Navy Fed or USAA. I can get loans approved easily, low auto financing, etc. Definitely go with them.

The only downside, alot of smaller towns and cities don't have a Navy Fed. If you're one of those people that likes to go inside the bank and see a teller like I do, then make sure you have one at your duty station or home address.

uktitus 08-08-2012 12:37 PM

I second GT I don't know anything about Navy Fed. The major banks shall we just put a ? mark against them, and I won't support their practices.

Dfowler03 08-08-2012 07:33 PM

Navy Federal is absolutely the way to go! been a member for over 8 years, never once had an issue. Have had numerous loans through them, and a credit card. Great 24/7 customer service....make sure to get 'active duty' checking....you get ATM rebates if you have to use non-navy fed ATMS, get your money before other banks (they dont keep your check 'pending deposit' like other banks do....like mentioned above, free checks etc. HIGHLY recommend.

itshertruck 08-09-2012 12:14 AM

Dealt with Navy Fed for almost 20 years. Have had my share of ups and downs with them. The only complaint I have is when it came time to get my Ram, which was a bit more than the previous vehicle's loan, they wanted to raise my interest rate. I ended up going through the dealer and got a MUCH better rate. The best thing I like about them, is for my junior personnel, get pre-approved prior to going to a dealership, then you know what you have to spend. Free bank drafts as well with membership.

SilentService 08-09-2012 01:06 AM

Thanks for the replies sounds like Navy Fed is what I will go with

Rec 26 08-09-2012 10:00 AM

USAA: Got my checking, savings, IRA, mutual fund, household goods insurance and insurance on both my SRT8 and my RAM with them. Not to mention also credit monitoring service and I had my SRT loan and now my RAM loan with them. My insurance for both rides and household goods is only $110. No fees, get a ATM fee rebate check every month that I use a ATM and I'm already approved for a home loan.

When I talked to Navy Federal Bank... they couldn't come close.

ram shaker 09-02-2012 10:34 AM

been with NFCU since basic in 2003. And I have no complaints with them as stated before I have been able to reach them 24/7 with no issues. had several loan and a credit card with them. the only issue i had once with my check card was hen I tried to buy the front clip and parts for my truck when i wrecked it. turns out there was a limit for a single transaction amount somewhere around the $2000 mark so I called them up and asked them why my card was denied when I knew I had the funds in the account, I was notified of this transaction limit but was told I could raise it indeffenitly or for just for a 24hr period and then it would go back to default so I went for 24hr raised transaction limit. And bought the clip and parts right after hanging up with them and went right though. The other good part is that there is a NFCU on or around every base so you can always go in and talk to them. loved that when in Italy. Even now I have been out since 2008 and the closest NFCU is about 3hrs away and I really dont have an issue I can handle everything online or call. The only bad part is trying to make sure I awlays go to a kwik trip to get cash since they have no fee atm's. hope that helps.

Grubrunner 09-02-2012 12:51 PM

My wife's been with Navy federal for over 20YRS and absolutley swears by them in every way.