DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   New fob battery and key fob still sucks!!!!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119424)

autokraftgt 08-15-2012 09:09 AM

New fob battery and key fob still sucks!!!!!!

just purchased a 60,000 mile Ram 2500 Hemi 5.7 and my key fob has always sucked. Replaced fob battery CR2032 and it still sucks. It works, but I have to stand right in front of the bumper or driver door and press the button a few times. It's pretty annoying. ALSO, the remote start has never worked for me. I have tried pushing the start button (x2) in every possible fashion. Twice slowly, twice fast, twice every way!!! NOTHING! With cooler weather coming soon, it would be a nice feature to have working. I called the STEALERSHIP that sold me the truck and they said they would have to charge me a service charge of atleast $80....BS!

I have double checked the battery to make sure it's in properly and all contact points are clean as well.

Through research on this forum, someone said to press lock1st, then hit the unlock button....that did not help matters at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks guys!

Grubrunner 08-15-2012 09:40 AM

Sounds to me like a programing error that requires re-programing.

Unfortunately the dealership is the only one that can re-program the OEM key fob.

Drop by your dealership and speak with the service manager directly. If this approach falls on deaf ears, a different dealerships in your area is the way to go.

Good luck.

buccaneezer 08-15-2012 10:01 AM

I had a key fob die on me awhile back... when the truck was maybe 6 months old. It was very intermittent and it didn't matter how close you stood--even standing next to the door required over a dozen presses.

I believe that these are poor quality, and Dodge is likely quite aware. I second Grubrunner's suggestion: my dealership (which is generally not quick to hand out freebies) replaced it without question.

autokraftgt 08-15-2012 10:29 AM

Hey thanks fellas! When I have some time, I'll drop by the dealership and see if they can re-program. Iam sure they have dealt with this issue a few times so hopefully it's a quick fix. This forum rocks!

huntergreen 08-17-2012 11:18 AM

if you bought your truck from a dealership and they are aware of the problems from shortly after purchase, the should replace or fix for you.

RogueRam 08-19-2012 07:02 PM

my ram just turned 1. i have been impressed with how far away from the vehicle i can be for my fob to work.

crazyrealtor 08-19-2012 11:37 PM

The dealer has replaced both fobs on my 2011 already and now the other two barely work. Dealer said it is a common problem with our fobs, it is not the battery.

DodgeRam2012 08-22-2012 09:25 PM

When the FOB dies can you still start your truck? How come I cant ever unlocked my door with a key without the alarm going off?

I figured that little secret one shouldnt set it off but it does

autokraftgt 08-26-2012 10:30 AM

Replaced both batteries, finally went to the dealership so they "reprogrammed" my fobs. They worked pretty well while I was at the dealership. The next morning it was back to where I was....finally opened after a dozen times standing right next to my door. I called the service manager and he told me to pull the M-27 fuse which will reprogram the thingamajig and that should work....NOPE!
This is pretty annoying

nikeman 08-26-2012 12:48 PM

I'v been having similar issues with my fob also. I had my wife bring it up to the service department during my last oil change and while it was there the fob worked perfectly of course. For me, only my fob is like that. The one my wife has works perfectly every time. It's annoying when it takes 5 tries to start the truck and push the unlock button a few times only to discover that the doors are still locked with the baby in my arms and the keys in my pocket.