DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Muffler swap, Will it hurt me?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119445)

Smitty21 08-15-2012 01:21 PM

Muffler swap, Will it hurt me??

I got a turbo muffler laying around that I'm thinking about swapping for my stock muffler on my pickup. The turbo muffler is a 2" in and out muffler and the stock is of course a 2 1/2". Would this hurt me at all to swap out? I'm thinking it would give me a little better sound than the stock muffler and would cost only a few bucks to put in. I just didn't know if the flow would be a lot worse. My thought is it would be about the same, but wanted a second opinion.

dj1 08-15-2012 06:04 PM

I did a flowmaster delta flow 40 series on my 08 1500, i had a shop make me a 18" piece flared at the back to fit over my stock 3" pipe. while installing it i notice the factory muffler was 3" in and 2 1/2" inches out so i cut out the 2 1/2 piece and now have 3" all the way and i have noticed a gain on my low end. If i were you i wouldn't downsize it sell the 2" on craigslist and got to a auto parts store and get a cherry bomb or a thrush that will fit and it should help a little with power and alot with sound

MF2000 08-17-2012 07:51 PM

I think the 2" is way too small. The muffler design has a lot to do with the flow capabilities too. The stock muffler is very restrictive. I'd recommend getting one the same size as the exhaust pipe or larger. You don't want your muffler being the bottleneck. If you want a quieter muffler, buy one that is as long as stock or longer. Longer means quieter and shorted means the opposite. Good luck.:smileup:

Smitty21 08-20-2012 04:24 PM

Yeah that is why I thought about putting this muffler on. I would like a little more sound, but dont really have the money to put into a system right now. I had this laying around. I knew the stock muffler would be very restrictive, that is why I was thinking that even though the pipe size on the turbo muffler was smaller, it would flow about the same as the stock muffler because it was much smaller.

RyanJM 08-24-2012 01:40 AM

Ya best to go with a 3" in and the 2.5" out. It will fit the stock exhaust but flow better sin e aftermarket mufflers are less restrictive. Just buy a muffler to the sound you like. A flowmaster will be louder but a magnaflow has a quieter tone at cruisi and gets louder as you push the go pedal. Cherry bomb, thrush, and dybomax are all reasonably priced but each has their own sound.

Skull1313 09-02-2012 11:18 PM

Smitty, All these guys are running newer trucks. I just (yesterday actually) put a Flowmaster on my 01 Ram. 2 1/2" in and out is a direct replacement for the stock exhaust muffler. Sell the one ya have and get the right one. You'll not have a issue with installation and it sounds awesome. If you go down to a 2" I think you'll not get the performance you want. You are making it more restrictive coming out of the muffler. In my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

MF2000 09-05-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skull1313 (Post 879537)
Smitty, All these guys are running newer trucks. I just (yesterday actually) put a Flowmaster on my 01 Ram. 2 1/2" in and out is a direct replacement for the stock exhaust muffler. Sell the one ya have and get the right one. You'll not have a issue with installation and it sounds awesome. If you go down to a 2" I think you'll not get the performance you want. You are making it more restrictive coming out of the muffler. In my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I drive both my 09 Ram and my 00 Dakota R/T. I also had a modified 95 Ram, so not all of us drive all newer trucks. I'm very good at making things run better and I completely agree with your advice....spot on :smileup: