DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Paint Sealants (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119749)

snrusnak 08-19-2012 08:58 PM

Paint Sealants

Hey hopefully someone can help me out, I'm looking to buy a paint sealant to apply to my cars to help protect them. I wash my cars a couple times a year(say 2-4 times) and I only apply wax once or twice a year. I'm not really concerned with it being clean I just want it protected, mainly from the sun here in FL. I recently found out sealants last way longer than cheap wax from walmart so want to buy some sealant and stop wasting my time with wax. Here's some products I've found with some research:

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant

Zaino(not really sure which product is the sealant I'm looking for...)

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Wolfgang Deep Glass Paint Sealant 3.0

I'm looking for a sealant that will last 6-12 months and I'll apply it by hand. I don't want to prep the surface, wax it, seal it, top coat it, etc. or whatever. Just looking for protection. I will wash it with water and soap and then apply a sealant.

Any help is appreciated.

BlueJet 08-19-2012 09:02 PM

+1!

Then I am going to hire a cabana boy to put it on :)

Ok, seriously, what he wants to know.

snrusnak 08-19-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

+1!

Then I am going to hire a cabana boy to put it on

Ok, seriously, what he wants to know.
Well if he does all the work I guess I can just close my eyes....

BlueJet 08-19-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 869503)
Well if he does all the work I guess I can just close my eyes....

I will bring the adult beverages while wait :D

Back to the topic, sorry!

snrusnak 08-19-2012 09:12 PM

No apologies necessary, I'm sure you are aware that I'm very good at thread jacking :) lol

GhostR1der 08-19-2012 09:21 PM

Whatever paint sealent you choose you must do the preparation correctly.
1. Wash car with a few ounces of dawn to strip any previous sealants or wax
2. Clay bar the car
3. Apply sealent (I would go with a machine sealent as it last longer)
4. Wait 12-24 hours for the sealent to cure
5. Apply layer of wax

Really need to wax every other month or so. Your sealent most likely will not last more than 6 months.

snrusnak 08-19-2012 09:37 PM

^what product would you recommend?

GhostR1der 08-19-2012 09:47 PM

Adamspolishes.com

I spend a lot of time cleaning my truck though. I hand wash only and if it rains it gets another hand wash. It takes me about 3 hours to do a full regular wash and dress the trim. If I do a full strip wash, sealent, clay, and wax then your looking about 5-6 hours lol. It is expensive to get all your products at first but when your talking about premium car care then there are way different procedures. The stuff I recommend is not your daddy's $2 turtle wax. I have almost $800 in car products... That sounds crazy I know.

snrusnak 08-19-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not really looking for shortcuts, just that I very rarely wash my cars, and want to apply something that will last and protect.

When I wash my truck it takes me all day(realistically like 5 hours....but feels like all day lol) just to wash it, clean the wheels and tires, and vacuum and clean the interior. That doesn't count applying a wax or sealant. When I do it though I am thorough, I do door jambs, under the rockers, under the mud spats, etc.

Personally I don't think I need to clay bar for the sealant to bond, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to pay someone to do the work, I don't trust others to not damage my stuff.

The adams stuff looks good. I don't really understand why it has to be applied with a polisher though, if I do it by hand will it really not work? Maybe I could just buy a polisher and safe some time and labor.

snrusnak 08-19-2012 10:45 PM

Found a porter cable dual action polisher for $109 brand new. Thinking about getting that and the adams sealant (~$25).

So I would apply it with the polisher, then what let it dry for a little while? Then wipe it off and let cure for a day?