DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Headers!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119859)

mblatz 08-21-2012 10:48 AM

Headers!!

So,now that it has nbeen some time, has anyone seen or heard from any of the performance companies whether or not there is the availability of tube headers, long or short??

snrusnak 08-21-2012 01:56 PM

OBX is the only one I know that was "definitely going to make them". Since then, they've told me to check back in 4 weeks about 3 times now. So I'll be emailing them again in another week. I think I already know the response. They said they'd be shortys.

Gibson was looking for a truck to finish development, probably ended up giving up.

Not looking good especially with rumors that the 4.7L will be out of production in ~1-2 years.

mblatz 08-21-2012 02:00 PM

Well maybe its high time i get me fab shop going!!

snrusnak 08-21-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Well maybe its high time i get me fab shop going!!
:smileup:

I have been thinking if some cheap 3rd gen long tubes would fit physically in there, and could just cut the flange off and make a new flange(fairly inexpensive) and weld it on. Or just make an adapter and bolt it all together. Not sure if it'd work out though. We did compare a hemi exhaust gasket to a 4.7 gasket and the ports appeared to pretty much line up. The bolt holes were not inline(which is good if using an adapter).

Pacesetter long tubes for a 3rd gen can be had for like $300 IIRC(maybe I'm wrong? but I swear that's what they were brand new). Maybe another $100 in fabbing flanges, and then a couple hundred in ceramic coating, not too expensive, just labor intensive.

mblatz 08-21-2012 02:08 PM

Hmmm, i'll have to look into that cuz i have a set of srt8 shorties! my work has a lasr cutter, maybe i can get some flanges made up!

on a side note, a friend of mine rolled his '05 hemi ram, drunk, so i scored it and now have lots to experiment with;)

snrusnak 08-21-2012 02:11 PM

If you make a set of flanges keep me in mind, I'd like a set. I think I know a couple other people who would too. You could use a gasket for a template. I looked into it about a year ago a company said they'd make a set for ~$100 IIRC if I provided the gaskets. IIRC that price was from columbia river bending(or something like that).

First thing though would be to remove the stock exhaust and get a set of 3rd gen hemi headers and just see if they will physically fit.

mblatz 08-21-2012 02:19 PM

Well, if i would have to get a gasket to make a template anyways, i think , in the interest of performance, i'd gladly knock off one of me manifolds to see about fitment against an srt header, hemi and srt share port size and fitment. and i just so happen to have a set of those!

snrusnak 08-21-2012 02:25 PM

I didn't really understand your last post, but you could compare a 4.7 exhaust gasket to your srt header. I assume the srt header is off a 4th gen hemi? I'm not sure if 3rd and 4th gen hemi's share the same heads/port spacing.

mblatz 08-21-2012 02:30 PM

No, the srt header is off an '06 chrysler 300 that my buddy owns, he put long tubes on it and what i was sayin is if i need a gasket as a template anyway then i would get a set so i could replace the one if i were to take my stock mani off to compare bolt pattern.

snrusnak 08-21-2012 02:33 PM

Oh gotcha. Would be a good project, and long tubes on the 4.7 would be a huge power adder, especially with a tune. I wish I had time to do it but maybe in the future...