DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   HI-TECH Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   PC doesn't pick up new modem... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119861)

Grubrunner 08-21-2012 11:25 AM

PC doesn't pick up new modem...

Updated my modem on the weekend per Comcast's request/suggestion to a new and faster model.

Also have a Netgear wirless router that's been there for a couple of years.

We have four laptops, three iPads and a desktop with a wireless built-in card; as well as Smart Phones All of them work fine [yes, the new modem really boosted the internet speed] and instantly registered the changes, except for the desktop. It's showing excellent signal strength picking up the wireless Netgrear router but registers "no internet access."

I see that the new modem install gave me a new IP adress. The desktop hower, unlike the other computers, is still showing the old [previous modem's] IP address. I'm sure this has something to do with the no internet issue; it has to.

I've performed some basic troubleshooting steps but still nothing.

My absolute last resort is set up a Comcast service tech but I'm really strapped for time for the next two weeks except for late evenings..... when I need to use the desktop for a Paramedic class I'm taking.

Anybody have some/any suggestions?

Thank you.

Warlock III 08-21-2012 05:52 PM

If you call 'em they can walk you through it 24 hrs I'm pretty sure. Had a similar problem when they sent me a new one to replace the brick.

Grubrunner 08-21-2012 06:59 PM

Im seriously trying to avoid that.

I love what Comcast offers but I absolutely loath calling them. It takes a good 10-20mins to get somebody live after going thru the maze of voice promts and then you spend another 30mins minimum chatting to a CS rep who doesn't do jack most of the times.

Warlock III 08-21-2012 07:40 PM

If you would like me to reply to this thread, please press 2. If you would like to press 2,- please press 3. If you pressed 3... you're looking for 2, is that correct? If so...please press 4 now to return to our main menu. 5 to hear this again, 6 to make this message self-destruct.

Did you try internet connections, and refresh internet connection? Please press 7.

Grubrunner 08-21-2012 08:04 PM

Déjà vu

Nice.

brad12kx 08-21-2012 10:23 PM

Sounds like your desktop is set to 'static' instead of 'dynamic' for it's TCPIP settings in the network section. How to change this depends on which OS you have.

Grubrunner 08-22-2012 12:16 AM

Windows XP professional

Any more you can assist with, Brad?

brad12kx 08-22-2012 08:41 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I wanted to be on an XP Pro machine when I wrote this to get the mouse clicks right. ;)

VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
*** Disclaimer ***
I am NOT a computer wiz, nor am I an IT professional. I'm just a Ram Truck owner that's been playing with computers since before you heard of the internet. I know enough to keep my computers up and running, and should be considered a well read amateur. The advice I am giving is based solely on my personal experience(s) and should NOT be taken as the advice of an expert. Proceeding with the following has risks, and you bear full responsibility for your actions, so if you do not want that responsibility, call a professional.

*** End Disclaimer ***

Here is how to get to the network area and change the settings to dynamic instead of static. Hopefully you get the right windows that follow my description. I wrote this while on an XP Pro machine to enhance the chances of success. :)

Start
Control Panel
Network Connections (This opens in new window)
Local Area Connection (This opens in new window)
Properties (This opens in new window)
Scroll in the box to - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select it
Properties (This opens in new window)
This is where I am expecting you have selected 'Use the following IP address' followed by numbers in the following 3 boxes.
Below that you likely have 'Use the following DNS server addresses' selected and numbers in the following 2 boxes.
If yes to either of both of the above, write these numbers down, then in both cases select the 'Obtain ...........blah, blah, blah' and click on OK.
Now you get to wait a bit while windows spends anywhere from 30sec to 5 minutes doing what should only take 612 milliseconds to complete. :)

Now restart your computer and it should get a valid IP address and connect to the internet.

>> Insert finger crossed emoticon here <<