DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   fob has vanished (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119908)

rangerdanger 08-22-2012 03:15 AM

fob has vanished

New to the board and hope I'm putting this in the right place. So I'm at work and my fob has disappeared, but I have my grey key. I've searched around and found a couple different answers. I locked the door with my fob, and from what I've read, if I unlock and open the door with the key, the alarm will go off, and all I have to do is jump in and start the truck with the key and the alarm will stop. Please tell me this is right, the last thing I need this morning is to be standing in the parking lot with the alarm going off and me standing there with my thumb up my backside. 2005 model if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

InDeepWaterBlue 08-22-2012 05:23 AM

Honestly, I have no idea, my only thing that I haven't really looked into, is where the hell do you put the key to start the truck the slot for the fob? I personally don't have anything on the column to start the truck, just the slot on the dash for the fob...

semlohde 08-22-2012 10:08 AM

You are in a mess without that fob. The key is only to your locking tailgate and door. I read and tried something from this forum. Stick your finger into the starter- where your key fob goes. It will turn - BUT- you have to have the fob very close for the signal from it. (and a strong finger to push the plunger in and turn- that sucker hurt) mine also said I had a damaged fob, but it did work fine after I used the fob. Without the fob you're walking. With that said, if anyone else knows differently I'd be glad to learn also. Ed

gopackgo69 08-22-2012 11:37 AM

He has a 2005 which is different than a 2011 like you guys have. The key is separate from the fob, which is just a remote entry and panic device. The key starts the truck.

From what I remember your key has a chip in it and the truck will sense it and run like normal the alarm should stop.

TheSatinPumpkin 08-22-2012 12:53 PM

Yeah if the truck is unarmed then you can use the sentry (grey) key to unlock the doors and drive your vehicle. You will need a new FOB replacement for the use of the alarm.

rangerdanger 08-22-2012 02:03 PM

My 05 is definitely different than your guys newer trucks. Thank god! The alarm went off when I opened the door, but I hopped in, started the truck and the alarm quit. Thanks for the answers.

GTyankee 08-22-2012 02:43 PM

a bit off subject:

my '09 is the same as the 'newer Rams
i had misplaced my spare FOB for a long to me period of time
i watched my only FOB like a hawk, we are screwed without one, i started checking my FOB like it was a wallet, stand up at a restaurant, tap your pocket to make sure it is there type thing
I finally gave up & purchased another FOB, i bought a FOB with DODGE written on it, they are cheaper then the one with RAM written on it.
3 days later i found the missing FOB !!! it was right where i had hidden it in the RAM
(i was going on a cross country trip & had figured that it was cheaper to call a locksmith then a tow truck)

uktitus 08-22-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 871627)
a bit off subject:

my '09 is the same as the 'newer Rams
i had misplaced my spare FOB for a long to me period of time
i watched my only FOB like a hawk, we are screwed without one, i started checking my FOB like it was a wallet, stand up at a restaurant, tap your pocket to make sure it is there type thing
I finally gave up & purchased another FOB, i bought a FOB with DODGE written on it, they are cheaper then the one with RAM written on it.
3 days later i found the missing FOB !!! it was right where i had hidden it in the RAM
(i was going on a cross country trip & had figured that it was cheaper to call a locksmith then a tow truck)

GT I think you about my age if I remember seeing it somewhere so it's amazing how we hide things for safe keeping and never know where to find them?

GTyankee 08-22-2012 03:44 PM

You are correct, i just turned 68 two days ago
again on the road returning from a cross country trip of 7,635 miles total
I went to a couple different RAM meet & greets, 1 in Connecticut & the Fort Worth Texas Ramfest 2012

semlohde 08-25-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks for pointing out my error not knowing the difference in the 2005 to my 11. Glad you worked it out. I too watch my fob like my wallet. Ed