DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   OIL: Changing and catching (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120009)

Fordconvert 08-23-2012 03:35 PM

OIL: Changing and catching

So I hit 2,000 miles on my truck today and realized I should at least START thinking about changing the oil. I'm curious if most of you guys are sticking with synthetic oil or going with the ol fashioned stuff?

And since we're talking about oil, it's been suggested on these forums that a catchcan is a good mod for the truck. I had only heard of catch cans for race cars, drag cars, etc. in the past. What say you, worth it or not?

I've been trying not to look at these forums for the past week because I THINK I have all the mods that I need on my truck, but sure enough you guys always have more ideas that I can't live without...

slobes 08-23-2012 04:22 PM

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing and JUST hit 2000 miles on Tuesday...small world.

A lot of owners of my previous car, which was a sports car (Genesis Coupe), love to post pictures of all the oil they would catch making its way back into the engine. I was always very surprised to see how much oil a catch can actually removes from the intake in a short amount of time. This is something that I am definitely considering as I have never heard of an adverse effect being caused by it. I believe it is something that manufacturers leave out because it's just another thing to maintain.

I am not a car guru, so I could be wrong. If others agree, does anyone know of a good catch can for the RAM? I know most are universal, but maybe there is a specific one.

Sticking with my free dealership provided oil changes...which of course means traditional oil

RansRAM 08-23-2012 04:53 PM

Went with 100% synthetic at 5,000 kms and never looked back. The Amsoil 0W20 that I am using has been an excellent oil and I have no regrets. I have also installed a catch can from BT and, like everyone else has posted, it is catching alot of oil that would have gone into my intake. Definitely a mod worth doing.

Asur 08-23-2012 09:30 PM

Same as with RansRAM, hit 5000klm and went full synthetic. Also have a catch can.

Sprinkfitter669 08-23-2012 10:05 PM

Just hit 2700 miles today in the new truck love it. So it sounds like synthetic is deffinatly the way to go? Where is the catch can installed exactly?

RansRAM 08-23-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprinkfitter669 (Post 872735)
Just hit 2700 miles today in the new truck love it. So it sounds like synthetic is deffinatly the way to go? Where is the catch can installed exactly?

The catch can is plumbed in between the PCV valve outlet (Top Left Rear on engine) to the left side of the throttle body inlet. The can mounts on the left front of the engine block and some can be mounted on the upper rad supports. Here is my install thread for reference, http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101219

audio1der 08-24-2012 11:47 AM

I plan on going to syn. oil at our first oil change. With our cold weather for half the year its just cheap insurance to me.

jgos929 08-24-2012 03:50 PM

I switched to synthetic at 500miles and catch can = pointless mod. Manufacturers dont put them in their automobiles because they're not needed.

X231 08-24-2012 07:28 PM

Just did my first oil change and went to Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Napa Gold filter. The synthetic really isn't that much more than the blend and I think it's far superior for the small price difference. All my research indicates that Napa Gold (same as Wix) is one of the better filters out there and it too is priced very reasonable at $5.69 and readily available. Best deal I found for Mobil 1 was at wally world but they seem to be hit and miss on the 5w-20 at least around here.

LeftCoast 08-24-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgos929 (Post 873226)
I switched to synthetic at 500miles and catch can = pointless mod. Manufacturers dont put them in their automobiles because they're not needed.

I think that oil going down the intake is not needed. I'm getting a catch can.