DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   adjusting tranny bands questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120078)

rsnyderjr2 08-24-2012 03:21 PM

adjusting tranny bands questions

OK - I've spent a lot of time searching with no luck, so I'm just going to ask...

1999 1500 Laramie w/5.2L w/110k miles
build date 5-99

1. How can I tell what Tranny I have? (46RE? Is there a site where we can input our VIN# and find out info. like this on the vehicle?)

2. What is the band adjustment procedure? (I found the procedure for 46RH and 42RE below, but not 46RE)

3. Where exactly is the front band adjustment at? Anyone have a picture, or a diagram I could reference??

Thanks Guys!!

-----------------------

The procedures for the 46RH are as follows:

Front band: 1 - Loosen the adjuster locknut. 2 - Tighten band adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs. 3 - Back adjuster 2.5 turns. 4 - Hold the adjuster in place and tighten the locknut.

Rear band: 1 - Remove pan. 2 - Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. 3 - tighten locknut to 72 in. lbs. 4 - Back off adjusting screw 2 turns. 5 - Hold adjuster in place and tighten locknut.

This is for the front band of the 42RE:

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket. CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle

This is for the rear band of the 42RE:
REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque
5. Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar ATF Plus, Type 7176 fluid

ramvan2500 08-24-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsnyderjr2 (Post 873182)
OK - I've spent a lot of time searching with no luck, so I'm just going to ask...

1999 1500 Laramie w/5.2L w/110k miles
build date 5-99
VIN#3B7HFY0XM578630

1. How can I tell what Tranny I have? (46RE? Is there a site where we can input our VIN# and find out info. like this on the vehicle?)

2. What is the band adjustment procedure? (I found the procedure for 46RH and 42RE below, but not 46RE)

3. Where exactly is the front band adjustment at? Anyone have a picture, or a diagram I could reference??

Thanks Guys!!

-----------------------

The procedures for the 46RH are as follows:

Front band: 1 - Loosen the adjuster locknut. 2 - Tighten band adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs. 3 - Back adjuster 2.5 turns. 4 - Hold the adjuster in place and tighten the locknut.

Rear band: 1 - Remove pan. 2 - Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. 3 - tighten locknut to 72 in. lbs. 4 - Back off adjusting screw 2 turns. 5 - Hold adjuster in place and tighten locknut.

This is for the front band of the 42RE:

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket. CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 Nm (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle

This is for the rear band of the 42RE:
REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 in. lbs.) torque
5. Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar ATF Plus, Type 7176 fluid

I cannot believe you couldn't find out the answers to these questions, especially with the thousands of posts I have made and others many others have made before me and after me. Anyways to answer your questions, and these answers are with 100% Certainty as I rebuild and modify ONLY Chrysler torqueflites models 42-48 RH/RE and 727's and 904's

VIN#3B7HFY0XM578630

If you want to find out you can do it visually, contact chrysler, OR if it's printed on the vehicle build sticker that way.

Visually, the 46RE has a black fluid pan with ribs in it wheres the 46RH doesn't. The 46RH was used up UNTIL 1995, starting in 1996 Chrysler HAD to use the 46RE because of the ODB2 change. The MAJOR difference if your wondering is the 46RH uses a mechanical governor and the 46RE uses an electronic sensor. The 46RE is generally accurate within about 40 RPM where's the 46RH is accurate within 400 RPM so the 46RE allows for more PRECISE shift points. BUT the 46RH is more reliable because it's hydraulic up until 4th gear then electronics kick in so your 1,2,3,R are most reliable.

Your truck is a 1500 series and it's a 1999 so it's going to be a 46RE HOWEVER there are differences within the 46RE, primarly the electronics themselves. The differences are in the design of the plugs and slight change in valve body. But the 1999 I believe is still covered under what I would call the first generation of 46RE.

Since the major internals are the same the procedure is the same. BUT if you have a different say band lever ratio instead of the stock 2.5 or 2.9 say you installed a 4.1 or (gulp) 5.X:1 then different story. But the procedure is the same.

The front band adjuster is located on the driver side of the bell housing, directly behind the linkage. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...andoutside.jpg

here is a photo i found on the web

Thanks Guys!!

there are some others things about the fluids you must use. it's simple, if you are running stock clutchs then you have to use stock fluid chrysler ATF+4. The best thing about the ATF+4 is it only looses about 10% viscosity over a period of I think it's 50,000 miles or 100,000 I can't remember dead on but it's around there.

NOW if you run aftermarket clutchs like I do Alto Red Eagles then you can use ANY automatic transmission fluid you like. BUT if you are using a stock torque converter then you have to use ATF+4 because of the clutches within the torque converter lockup clutch.

WITH THAT, I personally use ATF+4 anyways. I can save money use DEC or MERC but ATF+4 is practically the highest friction modified fluid which is one reason why it's so expensive it also contains Lubrizol. So stick with ATF+4.

rsnyderjr2 08-24-2012 03:59 PM

ramvan - u da man. Thanks!!

ramvan2500 08-24-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsnyderjr2 (Post 873203)
ramvan - u da man. Thanks!!

thanks i know :P

anytime you have a question for me please ask away, here to help

318Dave 12-03-2012 08:48 PM

"2. What is the band adjustment procedure? (I found the procedure for 46RH and 42RE below, but not 46RE)"

New to the forum here but was curious ramvan. To there is no procedure for the 46RE? Called my mechanic today to have them do this when they perform the flush, he said he thought it couldn't be but would double check with his transmission rebuild buddy.

Gen1dak 12-04-2012 11:57 AM

Then your mechanic is wrong.

ramvan2500 12-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318Dave (Post 952737)
"2. What is the band adjustment procedure? (I found the procedure for 46RH and 42RE below, but not 46RE)"

New to the forum here but was curious ramvan. To there is no procedure for the 46RE? Called my mechanic today to have them do this when they perform the flush, he said he thought it couldn't be but would double check with his transmission rebuild buddy.

The band adjustment for the 46RE is the same as the 46RH. They are essentially the same transmission, just that the 46RE is electronically governed.

However the correct front band adjustment does depend on the lever ratio, but for a stock transmission it is going to be 72 in-lbs, then back off 2-7/8 turns. Most band lever ratios are going to be 2.5 or 2.9. Sometimes you will find a 3.2, this is all speaking in terms of a stock transmission. But stick with the 2-7/8 turns and you are good to go :)

Wolf907 10-06-2013 01:53 PM

I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x2. its a nice ride after the transmission warms up. sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to let go of first gear when under light throttle pressure. its not slipping i don't think. it just feels funny. i have never done any adjustments on a transmission before, was wondering what specific tools ill need replace the filter and make proper adjustments on those bands. i understand that ill need a torxwrench, torque rachet, and a half inch square socket? please help me!!! :)

ramvan2500 10-06-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf907 (Post 1215596)
I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x2. its a nice ride after the transmission warms up. sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to let go of first gear when under light throttle pressure. its not slipping i don't think. it just feels funny. i have never done any adjustments on a transmission before, was wondering what specific tools ill need replace the filter and make proper adjustments on those bands. i understand that ill need a torxwrench, torque rachet, and a half inch square socket? please help me!!! :)

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86283