DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How to remove Factory Step pads (factory steps) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120264)

08TwinStickPW 08-27-2012 10:34 AM

How to remove Factory Step pads (factory steps)

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy,

Truck has the factory wheel to wheel steps in chrome and its too much chrome for me but I like the steps/rocker protection from flying rocks (and don't want to shell out $1000 for powersteps I really want lol).

SO, I have a local guys that said we would do both steps in a nice satin black Powder Coat (should match the flairs/spears) for $100 but I need to get the pads off.

On my older Mopar steps they had screws, on these new ones the rear bed step is screwed in, the door steps look to be use those snap in clips.

So, any tips on how to get them off with our braking them?

Thanks

(before and hopefully after pics lol)

Chunkem 09-01-2012 12:51 AM

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated......

Brad Pitt 02-07-2014 01:45 PM

Anyone figure this out yet?

BlackRam66 06-15-2015 05:48 PM

Remove Step Pads

I too would love to know if you can remove the plastic step pads on the Mopar wheel to wheel sidesteps. I recently painted mine and you can still see a little chrome around the step pads and its driving me crazy. I tried pulling on them and a few of the clips came loose but I got to the point where I thought I was going to break them. Any help would be much appreciated!

BlackRam66 06-16-2015 11:09 PM

Solution

Okay guys I decided to be the brave one and try and tackle this project. I just recently blacked out my ram and this was the last piece I needed to finalize. I was gonna leave the side steps off completely but my wife insisted I keep them on. I already had them spray painted with krylon fusion satin black and they turned out really nice but after some use the little area around the step pads would reveal some chrome which makes them look like shit or cheesy so for anyone who wants to black out their side steps the plastic step pads must come off!

So I had a "Plan B" which was if I destroyed the step pads while removing I could go to my local mopar parts dealer and they could order me a new set for $80 canadian for a complete set of 4. A little too much for 4 pieces of plastic I would think but at least it's an option. My side steps are the mopar wheel to wheel for a crew cab. They have one really long plastic step pad and a really short one. For those of you with different side steps the following procedure should be the same. Anyways, I got them off and here's how:

Start by removing the 2 end caps with a phillips screwdriver. Once removed I used linesman pliers to squeeze the 2 nearest plastic tabs and start pulling up on the pad. The first 2 should come out easy as long as you squeeze them by whatever means necessary. Next I used a crowbar and started pushing gently near the next tab until it popped up and so on and so forth. Be patient and be gentle. I got the 1st short piece off and only broke 1 plastic tab. I than removed the short piece from the other side step without breaking any tabs since I had a little rhythm going. I removed the 2 long pieces next and I broke 4 tabs on one piece and 6 on the other. Every tab that broke off on me broke at the base which made it very easy for me to glue them back on with loctite 495 instant adhesive. I've used this loctite many times in the past and it's an awesome glue to use on plastic. I glued all broken tabs back together and checked on them 20mins later and they were all as good as new. I should've mentioned earlier that these step pads were not designed to be removed and reused but I can say with 100% confidence that mine will be going back on with no issues.

Now that I have the step pads off I will completely respray them with the krylon fusion but I'm also think I might go out and buy some rustoleum truck bed spray to put on after the krylon. That way they will have one layer of black paint and a layer of the bed spray so that should help make them last a very long time. Krylon fusion spray paint is a really good choice for spraying chrome. That stuff bonds to anything! So tomorrow I will clean and repray with krylon and contemplate whether I will spend the extra $$$ on the bed spray as well!

Good luck to all who attempt this!