DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   99 Ram 5.2 wont idle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120273)

Talltwisted1 08-27-2012 01:03 PM

99 Ram 5.2 wont idle

So. Bought the truck, wouldnt start. got it running, (battery) (spark plug wires in correct order) and it wont idle threw codes for intermittent crank signal. Replaced crank sensor and pickup in distributor, and no more codes. Will not start unless you feather the throttle, and wont idle for squat as soon as you give it throttle and hold it steady its smooths out and actually runs fairly well, but let go of the throttle, and it idles downs and dies. This is my first Dodge, so im a little lost.

Gen1dak 08-29-2012 12:49 AM

Intake plenum gasket

Talltwisted1 08-29-2012 04:56 PM

cool. the gasket set is cheap enough. Do i have to remove the throttle body to do it? im thinking just pulling it complete and flipping it. How precise does the torque have to be. Im fairly mechanically inclined so torque sequence is a no brainer but 24 inch pounds in two stages? I dont have any torque wrenches.

Gen1dak 08-29-2012 07:22 PM

Yes, you can just pull the whole smash. Before you do that, take a flashlight and look down into the throttle body. An easy way to confirm failure of the plenum gasket is if you see an oily residue on the floor of the intake. It should be relatively clean. If the gasket has failed, the oily residue will have formed from crankcase oils and fumes being pulled into the intake. A modest leak won't show much in the way of oil consumption, but it is a vacuum leak, and that coupled with even modest amounts of oil can cause issues with the whole electronics feedback system.
The gasket has been upgraded with a steel inner liner, but they can still fail, especially if torqued improperly, so do it right. Equal application of pressure is so vital, Hughes Engines sells a kit to more effectively apply equal clamping pressures. Beyond that is a much more pricey intake manifold replacement. Still, for every day driving, just do it right and it'll last a good long time.

mrau92me 10-18-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen1dak (Post 876228)
Intake plenum gasket

Gen1dak, my '96 is doing something similar. When I started it the other day cold, it wouldn't stay running unless I feathered the throttle. I had to keep my foot on the gas while shifting out of park so it wouldn't die. When almost to the end of the road about a mile away, it died when I let off the throttle to come to a stop. I restarted and kept going but the problem went away during that driving session. The similar problem seems to be sporadic about when it happens.

do you think this is the symptom of a bad intake plenum gasket too or something else, since it's sporadic?

homerjayswim 11-07-2012 10:49 PM

NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Before you go through all of that replace your idle air control valve. Mine was doing the exact same thing as both of yours. Just try the 30 dollar part that takes 3 mins to replace first.

Gen1dak 11-08-2012 12:34 AM

If it's a '96 and never had it replaced, I'd say plenum gasket and IAC.