DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   tow/haul (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120317)

tess10 08-27-2012 11:38 PM

tow/haul
 
when towing my camper (7400 lbs.), do I need my tow/haul on when cruising on highway at 65 mph ?

Stump3r 08-27-2012 11:42 PM

Yes and no :D
If you are finding the truck is constantly changing gears or hunting for a gear throw her in tow/haul mode. As outlined in the manual it states that if you are going to be doing a whack of hills, tow/haul is the way to go. If you are running flat bald prairie leave her be.
In my neck of the woods it's pretty flat around here so I don't, but when I get into the hills I always run in tow/haul.

GTyankee 08-27-2012 11:44 PM

I don't tow, but on the highway, fairly flat land
you should be able to shut it off
tow/haul changes the shift points, so that you use the torque of the engine & transmission
even more so if you have a 3.92 or 4.11 rear end

if you have the 3.21 or 3.55 rear end, just leave it in tow/haul
that is in my humble opinion

Stump3r 08-27-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 875442)
if you have the 3.21 or 3.55 rear end, just leave it in tow/haul
that is in my humble opinion

+1 to this!!!!! Great advice!!!!

jgos929 08-28-2012 02:05 PM

I leave mine on when towing my travel trailer. It's #7000gvwr.

fastNugly @ BP 08-28-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump3r (Post 875439)
Yes and no :D
If you are finding the truck is constantly changing gears or hunting for a gear throw her in tow/haul mode. As outlined in the manual it states that if you are going to be doing a whack of hills, tow/haul is the way to go. If you are running flat bald prairie leave her be.
In my neck of the woods it's pretty flat around here so I don't, but when I get into the hills I always run in tow/haul.

Good info to know.
Thanks :smileup:

fat frank 08-29-2012 08:44 AM

I getting a trailer to pull dwith my new 4x4. Going to go dwith one of the new lite models. If your truck is a 1500, I would think you shoud click on the tow haul. 7000 is getting toward the limit of the truck. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and happy towing.

skinnysfd 08-30-2012 10:51 PM

The majority of time i tow i use tow/haul mode . I tow almost everyday and the main reason for it beign on for me is because i like that it downshifts automatically for me and also the little extra torque is nice as well. Using tow/haul from what i have seen as well will not affect your fuel mileage much either and its just a little easier on your truck to use it so its not constantly downshifting and upshifting when your going down the road. just my .02 hope it helps

h2oman 08-31-2012 10:53 AM

What skinnysfd said...

fastNugly @ BP 08-31-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinnysfd (Post 877408)
The majority of time i tow i use tow/haul mode . I tow almost everyday and the main reason for it beign on for me is because i like that it downshifts automatically for me and also the little extra torque is nice as well. Using tow/haul from what i have seen as well will not affect your fuel mileage much either and its just a little easier on your truck to use it so its not constantly downshifting and upshifting when your going down the road. just my .02 hope it helps

Good to know for future tows. :smileup:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger