DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   JBA Cat forward headers and tune (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120502)

will51 08-30-2012 03:23 PM

JBA Cat forward headers and tune

I was looking to place an order for JBA cat forward headers for my 2012 Ram, I have done some searching and have read that people are having issues from time to time with their truck running poorly and losing low end torque without a tune. From what I can gather the tune issue is with the secondary O2's and the elimination of the cats on the longtubes. (I've had this issue with previous newer vehicles I've modded as well). Having a 2012, from what I can gather, there are no tune options for me yet.

My question is, since the JBA cat forwards do not eliminate the cats, thus, do not affect the secondary O2's I can run safely without a tune, and since I'm not eliminating the stock cats, I will not lose quite as much low end torque?

Searched quite a bit and did not find this specific question asked, sorry if its already posted here somewhere.

Thanks

Moose612 08-30-2012 04:03 PM

I have them and they do just fine on mine.

will51 08-30-2012 04:08 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!

will51 08-30-2012 05:45 PM

Ordered them, I'm curious to see the sound with the stock exhaust.

Glenn B 08-31-2012 02:55 AM

I have the JBAs and I had no issues after the install.
They bolted in perfect and ran great.
Consider also replacing the factory muffler with a performance aftermarket offering. I think combining the headers and a good muffler will help quite a bit.
--Glenn

will51 08-31-2012 11:10 AM

Yeah, I'm actually a dealer for several aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, trying to decide which one to go with lol.

will51 08-31-2012 04:34 PM

I'm probably going to pick up a flowmaster 817568

InDeepWaterBlue 08-31-2012 06:06 PM

I have the JBA's on my truck and have no complaints, just make sure you go back uner the truck and re-tighten the bolts after about 500 miles. Swap your muffler to either a Magnaflow or a short Flowmaster Super 44 around 14" and consider swapping out the factory Y-Pipe with a Magnaflow Y-Pipe 2.5" In 3" Out. The stock one is insanely restrictive. The Magnaflow has a straight through design compared to the baffled Flowmaster. I personally have a Flowmaster 14" Super 44 and will say that at Idle it sounds awesome, but at WOT you loose "tone" and it's just effing loud lol The Maggie will have a better V8 Tone at WOT but they're quieter at Idle. I'm Actually trying to find a 14" Magnaflow at the moment so I can have best of both worlds considering it would "perform" better than the Flow.

Moose612 08-31-2012 06:20 PM

Bluewater is right. the flowmasters are loud. Especially when paired with a intake, but the design of the magnaflows are better. Ypipe is a good idea. Right now I'm running the JBAs magnaflow y-pipe and magnaflow catback. (love those 5" tips that come in the catback) but the muffler is a little on the mild side for me. So I'm gonna pick up a e-cutout from dmh when I have the extra cash. Also thinking about going really obnoxious and throing on a cherry bomb extreme. lol We'll see about that though the woman might get alittle upset.

will51 08-31-2012 06:45 PM

Hmm I'll look into the magnaflow y pipe. Just trying to keep emissions in check here in NYS. Thanks for the info guys!