DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   I want better brakes, suggestions? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120523)

Red05Ram 08-30-2012 08:47 PM

I want better brakes, suggestions?

So I have 305/55/20 trail grapplers and wheel and tire together weighs 116 pounds a piece! Also being a quad cab 4x4 and a few performance upgrades, my brakes don't seem to work as well as they used to lol. I was looking into EBC pads the yellow stuff I think was the ones that would be best for me. Also EBC rotors, but I would like to figure out some caliper upgrades too. Any suggestions? I wanna see what kind of damage I'm looking at lol front brakes are my main concern, I have new rotors and ceramic pads on the rear and that's fine for them. Thanks for the feedback!

HEMI450HP 08-30-2012 08:53 PM

If you are looking to go as far as new calipers, you are looking at big $$. New rotors, calipers, and pads are going to run updards of $1500-$2000 depending on which brand you go with. I have not run any aftermarket calipers on my Dodge trucks, but I have been very happy with Powerslot and EBC rotors. As for pads, EBC Greenstuff and Hawk LTS pads have been great for me as well.

UNBROKEN 08-30-2012 09:34 PM

I have the SSBC front kit coming now. It uses a 14" slotted rotor and a 4 piston fixed caliper. Should be less than 2 weeks now....waiting on powdercoat. Look for a review after I install them. I'll do a before and after with the brand new stock brakes...truck has under 500 miles on it now.
Retail is around 1500 bucks I think.

Grubrunner 08-30-2012 09:39 PM

Yeah you'll be north of 2K for a quality set of complete brakes.

I too swear by the EBC rotors and pad combo.

I have their 'green' pads on my Stang, Xterra and Tahoe and have noticed braking improvements.

UNBROKEN 08-30-2012 09:56 PM

If you make them go fast, lift them with heavy wheels, etc....2K isn't a bad price to put on your life or someone elses. All that other crap is fun....sometimes stopping is more fun.

My crew cab F250 has 8 piston front calipers, upgraded rotors front and rear and better pads out back....it stops better then my brand new single cab Ram.

There's only 2 real ways to stop quicker. More clamping force on a stock size rotor or more braking leverage through bigger diameter rotors.
New pads with different compounds can help, but not as much as increasing clamping force through more pistons. Braided stainless hoses will help with pedal feel and can cure spongy feeling brakes....but more pistons and bigger rotors is the best all around way to go...it comes with a price though.

Red05Ram 08-30-2012 09:58 PM

Opinions on green stuff vs yellow stuff?

Red05Ram 08-30-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN (Post 877334)
I have the SSBC front kit coming now. It uses a 14" slotted rotor and a 4 piston fixed caliper. Should be less than 2 weeks now....waiting on powdercoat. Look for a review after I install them. I'll do a before and after with the brand new stock brakes...truck has under 500 miles on it now.
Retail is around 1500 bucks I think.

Sounds awesome good luck can't wait to hear about them

FrostKing 08-30-2012 10:41 PM

Swap in a hydroboost from a Cummins truck. ~$120 for 50% more stopping force with less effort.

HEMI450HP 08-30-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN (Post 877361)
If you make them go fast, lift them with heavy wheels, etc....2K isn't a bad price to put on your life or someone elses. All that other crap is fun....sometimes stopping is more fun.

My crew cab F250 has 8 piston front calipers, upgraded rotors front and rear and better pads out back....it stops better then my brand new single cab Ram.

There's only 2 real ways to stop quicker. More clamping force on a stock size rotor or more braking leverage through bigger diameter rotors.
New pads with different compounds can help, but not as much as increasing clamping force through more pistons. Braided stainless hoses will help with pedal feel and can cure spongy feeling brakes....but more pistons and bigger rotors is the best all around way to go...it comes with a price though.

Great explanation. Couldnt agree more.

TheSatinPumpkin 08-31-2012 10:25 AM

x2..............................
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostKing (Post 877400)
Swap in a hydroboost from a Cummins truck. ~$120 for 50% more stopping force with less effort.