DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What the? Oil filter location (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120777)

2012Longhorn 09-03-2012 02:33 PM

What the? Oil filter location

I just did my first oil change an I swear the engineer that engineered the location of the filter must have had a medicinal marijuana card. Oil went everywhere. It was also overtightened from factory because it almost didnt come off. Thank God I checked for stuck seal because the old filter left it behind. I hate to have to take it to jiffy lube next time, but I dont see changing another one. Wow!

Grubrunner 09-03-2012 02:39 PM

It's always a headache to perform the first oil change because the filter is [over] tightened at the plant by machines and not human's hands. No idea why they do that

I know exactly what you're saying as I too have encountered the same problem/issue on several vehicles in the past performing the first oil filter change. Actually, I've totally destroyed more than one oil filter while removal.

The Ram was really not that bad at all.

PS: What did you mean when you said "but I dont see changing another one?" You don't intend changing the oil filter again.... ever?

Asur 09-03-2012 02:42 PM

Been there, done that, welcome to your first oil change lmao :LOL:

LazyEyeRacer 09-03-2012 02:51 PM

The first one always sucks. Damn robots! And I know what you mean about the oil going all over the front crossmember and steering rack. Total PITA! Look at it this way, that crossmember will never rust! :LOL:

oldhp 09-03-2012 02:58 PM

I used a old plastic bowl with a rag folded up in it under the filter. I trimmed it so it sits there. Loosen filter slowly so oil doesn't splatter. Loosen alittle more and let it drain. Take filter off and let it gently go into bowl. No mess.
oldhp

GTyankee 09-03-2012 03:05 PM

You wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube around here
they have such a bad reputation, that the manager & lube guys stand out front with signs,
that read
No Waiting

what happened to me:
about 4 years ago, i had driven onto their lot, the manager wrote up everything, including my choice of oil
I stood out side of the bay smoking & watched them
i had asked for Castrol, they put in Valvoline
i had asked them to lube the front of my 1/2 ton Chevy, i never saw a grease gun raise out of the pit
i had requested that they check the rear differential, they never did

as they reached up to close the hood, i asked for the Manager, he had left, i kept standing in front of my truck & did not move, the Manager had been at the KFC next door

I told him about the wrong oil, he said that they would drain it
i told him about not greasing the front end, he said that 1999 chevy trucks don't have zerk fittings, i told him that mine did & so did my drive shaft, we argued & told him to look for himself, it finally got greased
i told him that the rear end had not been checked, the workers insisted that they had checked it, i asked them how they did it, because the rear tires were not over the grease pit, the pit was a short one

Dodge does all the work on my Ram, just recently they opened up another building that used to be Jeep & used car service, they call it EXPRESS LUBE.
I supply my own oil & oil filter
I get charged less then $15. & it is mostly for discarding the old oil & filter
My service is in their data base & if something goes wrong, it is on them

roo 09-03-2012 03:20 PM

Mine wasn't too tight but the location is pretty sorry! Bent up a little cake cake pan to catch the oil that would have run all over rubber boot on the steering.

GTyankee 09-03-2012 03:46 PM

You can also use something like a quart or gallon orange juice/drink jug

on the opposite side of the handle, cut about 1/2 the bottom off & cut the side of the jug off at an angle, up to about 3 or 4 inches from the jugs threaded neck

after loosening the filler plug, lay something like saran wrap over the steering rod
stick the modified bottle into place
remove the plug & let the old oil drain into your new funnel & out the threaded part of the jug

I saw a trucker use a funnel like this when he needed to add oil into his engine

organized mayhem 09-03-2012 04:01 PM

Like roo, mine wasn't too tight either. But yes the location sucks.

ronhawk62 09-03-2012 04:40 PM

I got four free oil changes with mine, not looking forward to doing it myself in about a year.