DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Does anyone make a catless Y-pipe for a 2012? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121126)

ArcticWhite 09-08-2012 01:31 PM

Does anyone make a catless Y-pipe for a 2012?

I've seen there are weld-in y-pipes where you cut off at the cat and weld a new y-pipe in. I would rather have a y-pipe that bolts in and removes the cats. Is there anything like this for a 2012 yet???

Already have a rear O2 simulator, just need a way to get the cats out and a decent flowing y-pipe.

Grubrunner 09-08-2012 07:03 PM

I'm not sure what it is you're asking....

You want to delete the OEM catalytic converters and Y-pipe from the manifold side back towards the muffler, correct? Based on our truck's OEM exhaust pipe route, and piping configuration, that just doesn't make sense....

If you want to remove the catalytic converters, why not just straight pipe it thru?

Where exactly will the Y be used?

I'm stumped....

ArcticWhite 09-08-2012 07:54 PM

It is my understanding if you were to unbolt the section of pipe between the manifolds and muffler, you would have a y-pipe that included two cats in it.

Every aftermarket Y-pipe I have seen is "weld on". Basically, they don't replace the cats. You cut the stock pipe right after the cats and weld in the new Y-pipe.

I'm looking for a y-pipe that bolts or welds onto the muffler at one end and then bolts onto the stock exhaust manifolds at the other end, and does not include cats.

Does this make sense?

UNBROKEN 09-08-2012 08:25 PM

Makes perfect sense, but why?
I can understand wanting to replace the Y itself but removing the cats is pointless and illegal. Not that I care...but it may cause you issues in your state.
Todays OEM catalytic converters flow more than enough for whatever you can throw at them. In general the block exhaust flow by 1-2%, not enough to hurt anything and not enough for the hassles removing them may cause you.

Nobody that I've found makes a bolt in y-pipe, also called a mid-pipe if you're searching on Google. Your best bet is the weld in Y and call it a day. If you wanna replace something that's actually restrictive throw a set of shorty headers in there.

ArcticWhite 09-08-2012 08:34 PM

My province does not have emissions testing.

My personal experience has not matched your statements. Every single vehicle I have eliminated the cats on (9 in total throughout the years) has resulted in better sound and increased mileage.

UNBROKEN 09-08-2012 08:52 PM

And every flow bench test I've done supports my statement.
I can try to dig out some old pressure/flow test data tomorrow if you like.

Not trying to start a pissing contest...but there's just not that much to gain performance wise with these new vehicles. Not to mention there's no tuning available and that may cause you another rash of issues.

Your truck...knock yourself out man.

E.L.D. 44 09-08-2012 11:21 PM

Okay, my two cents. Removing the cats is absolutely pointless with factory manifolds. With a long tube header the cats account for 3hp difference. 3. If you can feel that in your butt dyno you need to change careers. lol. Having said that it is your truck and your decision. No one makes a mid-pipe for our trucks. You could message ARH and see if they would sell you just the mid pipe of their system but I don't know if it will bolt up to the factory manifolds. You can just buy the universal Y and have a muffler shop fab you a midpipe. All of this is a pretty expensive venture for better sound. I would do the universal y, aggressive muffler, and resonator delete. That eliminates all the hassel of removing the cats.

E.L.D. 44 09-08-2012 11:22 PM

Edit: Those hp numbers are straight from ARH. With factory manifolds I would bet it's 0 because of the crappy flow of the factory manifolds

Grubrunner 09-08-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticWhite (Post 884274)
It is my understanding if you were to unbolt the section of pipe between the manifolds and muffler, you would have a y-pipe that included two cats in it.

Every aftermarket Y-pipe I have seen is "weld on". Basically, they don't replace the cats. You cut the stock pipe right after the cats and weld in the new Y-pipe.

I'm looking for a y-pipe that bolts or welds onto the muffler at one end and then bolts onto the stock exhaust manifolds at the other end, and does not include cats.

Does this make sense?

Okay, I'm now with you.

But I agree with E.L.D. 44 with his "pointless" remark.

Good luck.

ArcticWhite 09-09-2012 10:49 AM

I appreciate everyone's comments and recommendations. Looks like I will probably get the weld in y-pipe for now and eliminate the cats if I ever do more mods like heads/cam/long tube headers. Thanks!