DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Riding rough after off-road (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121238)

gonefishin776 09-10-2012 06:13 AM

Riding rough after off-road

So there is a construction site near my house we went exploring, and it had just rained and was a muddy mess. I dropped it down to 4lo and we were riding around the site. I wasn't going crazy, just throwin some mud around, hittin a few bumps here and there.

My buddy pointed out yesterday on the highway "man your truck feels like its riding a little rough, you feel that?"

After he pointed it out it really started to bug me. It isn't bad, just slight shake in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I'm kinda new to "off-roading" and although I wouldn't say I did anything over the top I'm worried somethin happened while I was out there. Should I be worried? Maybe just an alignment thrown off some?

jacksonsnorth 09-10-2012 06:26 AM

Have you cleaned the wheels thoroughly? There are a couple things that can cause this that I have experienced in the past. One being mud or a rock stuck somewhere in the wheel causing balance issues, or maybe a wheel weight got knocked off in the mud holes if their are rocks in it. I would check this first before panicking. Just my 2 cents.

gonefishin776 09-10-2012 07:35 AM

good call. My wheels are still caked with mud. I didn't think about that. I am washing the truck thoroughly today so I will see if that helps.

CdnoilRAM 09-10-2012 12:32 PM

It'll be the mud. I get it all the time with my work truck when I have to head into a bad lease site our the roads in have gone to hell.

Commando57 09-10-2012 07:16 PM

Yup, mud buildup in the barrel of your wheels. Rarely, thick mud will pull wheel weights off. Check that after you wash the wheels off. And don't hose down hot brake rotors, then your shaking issues have just begun.

gonefishin776 09-10-2012 08:50 PM

So I completely cleaned the truck power washed and everything. I hadn't driven the truck before so rotors were not hot. I test drove it afterwards....the problem is WORSE. Now at 45/50 it wobbles bad. All wheels have weights have at least one weight on them. Now I'm not sure if there was more than one to begin with. (or if they even put more than one on) So what should I do? Take it to get the wheels checked? balanced? maybe even an alignment? I'm not sure an alignment cuz it doesn't pull, just wobble. Would anyone consider this "death wobble"? I heard it can happen after "off-roading" and not just front lifted trucks. caused sometimes by bent tie roads after off roading.

commando: what do you mean when you say barrel of the wheel? I took the power washer to the face of the wheels, most of the backside of the wheels (by spraying across the truck underneath) and that's all i could really reach. are there more places the mud could have caked up that I need to reach better? I got a significant amount of mud off, so the fact that it is worse makes it hard to believe there is still more hiding somewhere.

Commando57 09-10-2012 09:08 PM

The barrel of the wheel is the back side of the wheel. It's possible that you bent a wheel, or even a lug nut worked loose. I would definately make sure all the mud is out of the wheels before getting te balance checked. Since you said it is in your steering wheel, I would also make sure that there isn't any thing packed up in your front diff/cv shafts or spindles also.

Since you mentioned a specific moh range, I would say it is probably balance or you bent a wheel.

gonefishin776 09-10-2012 09:12 PM

hmmmm. see the reason I was leaning towards the mud was because I drove it a whole day, completely covered still at 55/60mph and didn't feel a thing. It rained, washed a lot of the mud off, then it started. So i figured the rain washed the mud off leaving it unbalanced in spots and thats when it started. If the wheel was bent, I should have felt it immediately. And why did it get worse? Wouldn't a bent wheel have a constant effect, or could it in fact worsen with driving? Thanks for the help. I'm really nervous. I just got the truck and kinda feel like an idiot for maybe messing it up. But i feel it should be able to handle the little bit it did, it was a construction site for crying out loud, not a rocky mountain.

Commando57 09-10-2012 09:23 PM

Pull the wheels off and clean the back of the wheel face and the barrel. Reinstall and try again. If it still shakes, get the tires balanced.
Yes, it it was a bent wheel, it would "wobble" at most speeds.
It really is hard to diagnose over the forums, but that where I'd start.

dezertrunner 09-10-2012 09:28 PM

You probably bent a wheel or possibly broke a belt in a tire. This very much sounds like a wheel/tire issue and not suspension related.