DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Road Trip! (sort of) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121239)

Excoastie 09-10-2012 07:33 AM

Road Trip! (sort of)

I'm packing up the Ram, and heading to Galvaston, TX tomorrow (Tuesday) morning at around 4am. I'm heading down with one of my union brothers for a union convention.

This should be interesting to say the least, almost 5 hrs in the truck with someone who easily reminds you of a politician, but it excellent at his union job of local chairman representing our members and generally fighting the company of pretty much everything they try to get away with.

According to yahoo maps it's about 5 hrs and 300 miles on mostly State hiways. I'm looking forward to the trip (except as noted above LOL). It's a convention that has lots of seminars that I hope to learn something in, though it's going to be pretty much non stop from the time I leave until I get back home around midnight on Thursday.

I'll try to post some pics, if I have the time to take any, and post about gas mileage, traffic encountered etc

Exco

knappk6 09-10-2012 09:45 AM

Good luck and have fun!

CajunDodge 09-10-2012 10:48 AM

Doesn't sound too bad, sure hope you manage to squeeze in some fun and you can always turn the radio up during the drive! :smileup:

- Cajun

GTyankee 09-10-2012 05:51 PM

Have a good trip
Hand the other person a camera & let them shoot the pix

Excoastie 09-11-2012 04:56 AM

Thanks everyone.

It's pretty much "0 dark thirty" and I'll be hitting the road in a few

Exco

brad12kx 09-12-2012 10:49 AM

5 hrs of unavoidable politics! You are in my prayers. :)

Excoastie 09-13-2012 09:06 AM

I went, and survived the convention. It was informative, and not too bad, (for the most part).

The drive down was decent. My associate (not sure I like that word, but it'll work for now) spent most of it raving over how excellent my Ram was :D (he drives and '08 QC Big Horn 1500).

We did not encounter any problems, my GPS routed us around the traffic in Houston, and we barely even checked up a little bit. Though the tolls were a PITA, but such is life.

I had a productive 3 or 4 hrs meeting with two national officers that are in the process of helping me straighten out the mess that I inherited, and they realize that it's not a mess I created, just one that I'm trying to clear up. I've been told that one of the officers that I met with, tends to be a bit chilly and often tends to step on toes with an abraisive personality... we enjoyed ourselves... LOL I'm guessing she just doesn't like those individuals.

Yesterday I spent pretty much all day in a workshop that basically told me just how screwed up of a mess that I inherited. I foresee lots of changes coming very soon, which I suspect is going to upset many of my fellow union officers, but such is life I suppose. I've always felt that anything worth doing, is worth doing correctly the first time.

My truck performed flawlessly! I used about a half of a tank of gas each direction, a distance of 295 miles, and calculated it out to 19.96 MPG going down. I haven't filled up yet, so I'm not sure how I did there, but I suspect it'll be slightly less, as I wasn't on the freeway 100% of the time, as I was going down (Houston is a screwed up city when it comes to the way roads are laid out), and I did keep my foot into the throttle a little heavier, as I was beyond ready to get home.

All in all I'd say that it was a good trip

Exco

brad12kx 09-14-2012 03:16 AM

It's good to hear that you got something out of it. I've attended a few union conventions and for the most part felt dumber when I left, so It's nice to know that their not all that way. LOL

Glad that your truck performed flawlessly, but in all honesty, I did not expect different. It's a 2010 and I'm an eternal optimist. :D

GTyankee 09-14-2012 03:32 AM

Glad that you had a decent trip

I used to take the I-10 through Houston, on my way to see friends that live fairly close to Lafayette, Lake something or other, they are or were shrimpers or crabbers i believe
hurricane took their house a couple years ago

primo spaghetti 09-15-2012 10:10 PM

hey i was just in texas this week too!! although my trip was a little further to get there...

stopped in Boston first for a BO sox yankees game, then off to Dallas to see the Rangers and Indians...

hope you hit T-Bone Toms while you were in the Galveston.Houston area!?!?!