DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Towing Over Capacity (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121522)

ramsport62 09-14-2012 01:30 AM

Towing Over Capacity

O.K. gang, don't beat me up too bad as I have a serious question. Would anyone advise towing a 14000 lb. boat and trailer combo about 3 1/2 miles over flat terrain with a 2012 1500 Ram Sport? She's got a Hemi, 3.92 gears and all the rest of the towing goodies. I know it's almost 4000 lb. over capacity but they build in some pretty large margins for safety etc. don't they? Should I attempt it or hire the yard? Thanking you in advance.

Bikenut 09-14-2012 01:41 AM

I wouldn't do it. got a friend with a HD? How much will the yard charge? ...I know its a pretty short distance but thats 2 Tons over.. Is it rural, light traffic? does the trailer have good brakes?

.... boats are very well set up for trailering but .... Naw, I wouldn't

battlerattle 09-14-2012 02:13 AM

Its not that you don't have the power. Towing g capacity is dictated by cooling capacity (engine and tranny), braking ability, suspension capability, transmission ability etc. If you were to be in an accident you would be held liable reguardless of the circumstances for being over weight, there is no way you could make a panic stop and way to many risk factors. I wouldn't do it.

h2oman 09-14-2012 02:28 AM

The question isn't "can you do it". The question is," do you have the right to endanger other people's lives". How are you going to deal with that? I think you know the answer.

GTyankee 09-14-2012 02:37 AM

If you are way out in the country & willing to drive at 15 MPH
i would do it
But if your anywhere close to town, where more than 20 cars per hour are driving, call a friend

gusman 09-14-2012 08:20 AM

hook her up, if you're sitting on bump stops then I'd say no go but if you take it nice and easy and the trailer is pretty well balanced I'd say go for it just allow more stopping distance (way more), and easy on the skinny pedal

snrusnak 09-14-2012 01:25 PM

I agree with GT. If the chance of anything happening(accident) is basically none, I'd do it. The truck can probably hold the weight. It can definitely pull it and stop it. Liablility is the big concern.

4 miles is nothing. I'd do it unless it was a crowded area. Just go slow and be extremely careful. If you do it you are accepting responsibility for what may happen, just know that.

davidgcet 09-14-2012 02:09 PM

you say "all the other towing goodies", do you have airbags or another means of stiffening the rear suspension? i know my '12 Outdoorsman was nearly sitting on hte bump stops just towing a 4000# truck, maybe 1000# misc junk on trailer/truck beds, and a 18' trailer. i figure i had between 5-6000# loaded/pulled and it squatted almsot 6"!

like others said, if you can drive it slow and take it easy then do it. maybe have someone follow you with their flashers on just to keep someone from running over you from behind. but if you have to drive on a major highway, hire it out.

snrusnak 09-14-2012 02:12 PM

Be sure not to exceed the tongue load.

irnwkrkev 09-14-2012 06:11 PM

Get airbags ( which won't help too much if you're extremely overloaded ) and make sure the bed is empty. I would think that tongue weight would be you're biggest obstacle. I recently towed an equipment trailer loaded with a 55 roadmaster and had to shift everything I had from the bed to the back of the trailer to re-distribute the tongue load and safely tow it through the blue ridge mountains. Was wishing I had some 'bags. Brakes, motor, cooling system, trans, were all up to the task!