DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Bottom of door rust prevention idea (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121582)

Ted98 09-14-2012 09:30 PM

Bottom of door rust prevention idea

Ok like most people i am plagued by the rust on the bottom of my doors. I am fortunate because on mine its not really bad. So my idea was to sand and grind the rust out and repair it.

Then I planned on taking an idea from Jeep guys and getting the whole lower half of the side of my truck sprayed with Rhino Liner.

Anyone ever done this before? Or think it would work?

double0ram 09-14-2012 10:34 PM

definitely would work. if I ever have the funds to do it, ill line the whole bottom to my contour line along the side of the truck. between road debris and off-roading, its a great idea! prevents chips and scratches, which is how rust there starts

Screamintrashcan 09-14-2012 10:43 PM

It certainly doesn't hurt, but my rockers, front fenders, rear wheelarches, and door lowers went bad from the inside out. most everyone I know up here rhino lines / rock chip sprays all the lower stuff and then paints it the truck color. The cool thing is, it's lumpy, and you could practically train your dog to spray the color match on, after the rock guard. My front fender problem initiated by salt dirt mix being trapped with no escape behind the wheel, same as rocker panels, salty dirt (about 5 Lb per side), the foam anti rattle stuff took out the rear wheel arches (held salt water, I know because I tasted it) The part that bothers me is they still use that foam stuff, I just saw a 3 or 4 year old truck at the vets today with paint separation all over the same places as the gen 2s. Someone is making a lot of money off replacement panels.

Phatninja55 09-15-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan (Post 888861)
It certainly doesn't hurt, but my rockers, front fenders, rear wheelarches, and door lowers went bad from the inside out. most everyone I know up here rhino lines / rock chip sprays all the lower stuff and then paints it the truck color. The cool thing is, it's lumpy, and you could practically train your dog to spray the color match on, after the rock guard. My front fender problem initiated by salt dirt mix being trapped with no escape behind the wheel, same as rocker panels, salty dirt (about 5 Lb per side), the foam anti rattle stuff took out the rear wheel arches (held salt water, I know because I tasted it) The part that bothers me is they still use that foam stuff, I just saw a 3 or 4 year old truck at the vets today with paint separation all over the same places as the gen 2s. Someone is making a lot of money off replacement panels.

I must be pretty lucky. My 94 1500 doesn't have any rust in the front half. The only thing that's rusted is the back wheel wells, and the bumper is completely gone. Replaced it with 2 2x6's xD.

ramfam 09-15-2012 10:50 AM

I did it with my 01 quad cab. I went one step further and did door sills and rockers as well as doors up to shadow line.

Ted98 09-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan (Post 888861)
most everyone I know up here rhino lines / rock chip sprays all the lower stuff and then paints it the truck color. The cool thing is, it's lumpy, and you could practically train your dog to spray the color match on, after the rock guard.

Well I would not be painting it to match the truck color. My truck is red so I think the contrasting black will look awesome. I figure it cant cost much more then it would to get the bed sprayed. There is a lot more surface area to cover in the bed.

double0ram 09-15-2012 05:14 PM

yea line-x a bed is between 400-500. definitely do the sills, if yours is anything like mine, its bare metal.

safetyfast 09-15-2012 08:36 PM

The way I rust proof my vehicles is to get a can of Penetrol and pour it in a cheap pump sprayer. I spray it on the back sides of the panels and inside the sills. It seeps down into the cracks and rust and solidifies after awhile. I will drip for quite awhile, so park in the yard or you'll have it all over your driveway. It will stop the rust so that it doesn't keep eating away at the metal.

Kimo 09-18-2012 06:20 PM

A couple of years ago I painted the bed with Herculiner. Had some left over so I did the rockers up to the first shadow line (if that is what it is called) just above the bottom of the doors. I like it; looks good and now more rock chips or cleaning the tar off of my white truck. Rockers had some brown on them from rust before I did the Herculiner thing. Now brown is showing through the Herculiner. So if I can figure a way to get it in there I may try to spray some Penetrol behind the rockers before it rusts through.
Have been looking for replacement rocker panels on the web but haven't found them yet. Anyone know where to get them?

Screamintrashcan 09-24-2012 01:37 PM

Try this, mine are cheaper here than rockauto.com Rock autos' will never rust thru, tho, as they are REALLY thick, you could weld them on with a stick welder, if you didn't blow thru the orig steel. http://www.fixmyrust.com/Category/10 has decent shipping rates, too. at least for me, being about 750 miles away. $11 shipping for rear wheel arches. I bought my crimper puncher on ebay, used but like new, for $20 or so. Pneumatic. It works wonderfully, as long as you're patient and get your cuts and crimps in the right places, I set the panel in place, hung it on ducttape, drew a line around its periphery, laid masking tape around the inside of the sharpie line, and then drew a line on the duct tape 3/8 " to the inside of that, cut the body on that line, and went around and crimped the body panel all the way around. I had to whack the corners in, with a hammer and dull chisel, to make the corners crimp, as the tool doesn't do outside corners. I punched a hole about every 1 1/2 "or so in the patch, for wirefeed. a diegrinder cutoff wheel works good for cutting, but buy about 20 or 30 3" wheels for it.I had to push from the inside out to get good welds, if you push inward, it doesn't work as well. remember to skip around all over the place, to keep warpage minimal. 3 m makes a real good paint remover wheel, for about $10, available via walmart Sandpaper is cheap for 5" and 6" da's on ebay, in bulk, and what you don't use, you can resell there, again. I like 3m and norton, I'm neutral on stickyback vs velcro.