DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Dash mats/dash covers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121780)

snrusnak 09-17-2012 02:37 PM

Dash mats/dash covers

I'm looking at buying a mat to protect the dash. I know they usually attach with velcro(I assume glued/stuck to the dash) and don't want to use the velcro. Are there any that just lay in place and stay? Can you all post pics of yours, I've found some info but need more to make a choice. Thanks all!

KingofDomain 09-17-2012 09:36 PM

Hey Sean, why not go with a tinted version of your windshield. Is it illegal where you are at? Unless you really like the look, I went with a UV protective and inferred film at 80%. I have some pics on my profile of the difference. It even cuts down on the glare at night caused by headlights and the sun during the day. Just another tip from someone else. I'm not knocking you on the dash mat, just a non believer in them (I don't like the look) Good Luck!!

KingofDomain 09-17-2012 09:44 PM

I just wanted to give another look at protecting your dash!!

snrusnak 09-17-2012 09:45 PM

Thank you for posting that info. I don't like the dash mats either honestly but am more concerned with protecting the dash. Was hoping I could find one that fit/looked good. Can you post some more info on what you're talking about? I may go that route if it provides the same protection. I'm sure tinted windsheilds are illegal here(or anywhere). But so is my illegal tint on the side windows and tinted tails....lol. I dunno about tinting my wind sheild though that seems like a safety issue for real. I don't mind breaking the law if I feel I'm safe but I guess I can look in to it.

My father in law told me all newer cars have some sort of UV protection built in to the glass.

KingofDomain 09-17-2012 10:01 PM

Yes the newer cars do come with a uv protective glass from the factory. I can tell a huge difference with it now, I had a friend of mine tint my windshield, he told me it's not illegal if you don't go past 70%. At 80% you really can't tell a difference as looking through the windshield from the outside looking in. What happens when you shatter a window without tint? It goes everywhere, now the windshield will not cause of factory specs but another level of protection with film on it (I don't actually have proof of that) but what happens when you shatter a window with tint on it? It doesn't go everywhere. I did it cause I had an 03 and 5yrs into the life of the truck the dash cracked, so what the hell why not try something new.........

snrusnak 09-17-2012 10:31 PM

You DIY or have it done?

KingofDomain 09-17-2012 10:42 PM

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.
Side Windows to The Right and Left of The Driver

I just did the research under Texas Law and found this: as long as you don't go below 70% it's okay in Texas. If you go below your going to need a medical exemption.

No Sean Had a friend do it he is a professional tinter, besides it didn't look easy even having it done. I watched the whole process.

Google your state on windshield tinting.........

snrusnak 09-18-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks, I might go to the guy that did my tint and see if he has recommendation.

MOFOGO 09-18-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 891382)
Thanks, I might go to the guy that did my tint and see if he has recommendation.

Research sunscreen exemptions on the Florida Dept. of Motor Vehicles websight. With the exemption you can go darker than legal on ALL windows, front, back, and sides, legally! I run 5% on the rear and all sides, plus a strip on the top of the windshield. And all for less than $10.00, plus a trip to your Doctor for a signature. A lot cheaper than a ticket.

snrusnak 09-18-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Research sunscreen exemptions on the Florida Dept. of Motor Vehicles websight. With the exemption you can go darker than legal on ALL windows, front, back, and sides, legally! I run 5% on the rear and all sides, plus a strip on the top of the windshield. And all for less than $10.00, plus a trip to your Doctor for a signature. A lot cheaper than a ticket.
lol that sounds strange haha. So I'd have to get a doctor to say I need that? How would I get that lol