DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Bad heater core ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121829)

Nck 09-18-2012 06:09 AM

Bad heater core ?

I know this topic has probably been beatin to death, but never the less, I need some help.
So I decided to try out my heat today because it was like 48 driving home from work. But like last winter, the problem persists.
When I turn on the heat and turn it on high, the air blows but the flow is really weak and the air is barely luke warm, even when the engine is warmed up.
I have to put my hand right by the vent to feel the air, but it's not even warm.
Could it be a bad heater core maybe?

Nck 09-22-2012 02:44 AM

Anyone had this issue?

GTyankee 09-22-2012 03:01 AM

It could be & probably is your vent doors
it could also be a blocked heater core & it needs to be REVERSED FLUSHED
on YouTube there are many videos
look at the 3 HEATERTREATER videos for Dodge
there are several more vids from other people, all with Dodges

There are also several vids about back flushing a heater core
the brand of vehicle does NOT matter on this subject

sspeer 09-22-2012 12:47 PM

I have a post regarding this with a succuessful end. Try removing the blend door motor (it would be above a passengers left foot.) 2 screws, the rear one is tricky,but doable. You can move the blend door by hand, toward you is cold, away from you is hot. Pull out the glove box and feel the heater core inlet and outlet hoses to see if they are hot. The left one is slightly cooler if working properly. If no heat, flush the entire system, pull the heater core hoses and flush that thing both ways, (I soaked the core in CLR for 35 minutes, not recommended by some mechanics) then flush it like crazy. Put in a new thermostat, and you should have heat. That should cover it, hopefully one of the first things is the problem. Good luck.

Nck 09-23-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspeer (Post 894237)
I have a post regarding this with a succuessful end. Try removing the blend door motor (it would be above a passengers left foot.) 2 screws, the rear one is tricky,but doable. You can move the blend door by hand, toward you is cold, away from you is hot. Pull out the glove box and feel the heater core inlet and outlet hoses to see if they are hot. The left one is slightly cooler if working properly. If no heat, flush the entire system, pull the heater core hoses and flush that thing both ways, (I soaked the core in CLR for 35 minutes, not recommended by some mechanics) then flush it like crazy. Put in a new thermostat, and you should have heat. That should cover it, hopefully one of the first things is the problem. Good luck.

Actually taking out the heater core is my very very very last option, cause that things a b**ch. But you said remove the blend door? like remove it completely and go without one? How does that work? And I'm going to try the hoses later and see if they are both hot, I hope they are cause then I know the core isn't clogged atleast.

Nck 10-01-2012 03:37 AM

I found today that both enter and return hoses are hot, so the core most likely isn't blocked. But still no heat heat and very weak blow.

GTyankee 10-01-2012 03:55 AM

i would suggest a bad blend door then
check out those videos that i mentioned above

Nck 10-02-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 899746)
i would suggest a bad blend door then
check out those videos that i mentioned above

The video's offer some insight, but not much to understand. If I have a bad blend door, how do you replace it? Am I replacing the servo, just the door? or are they all like one piece that I replace?
Cause until this issue, I've never even heard of a blend door lol

Nck 10-03-2012 07:53 PM

From any of the video's, it's hard to tell what they are doing. When you have to fix the blend door, can you just replace the actuator? or is everything one piece and have to replace the whole thing?

GTyankee 10-03-2012 07:58 PM

Hopefully, another member that has repaired their climate control unit, will post up soon