DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Engine Cleaning (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Engine BAy cleaning??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121948)

dmac101 09-19-2012 07:33 PM

Engine BAy cleaning???

how or what is the best wear to clean the engine bay, i can't imagine spraying a cleaner on and pressure washing in the for a couple minutes can be all that great for the engine bay, or is pressure washing the engine bay completely fine? how do you clean your engines?

UNBROKEN 09-19-2012 08:04 PM

Gunk - car wash high pressure hose - CD2 engine detailer.

I've won best of show 5 different times using nothing but that to clean the engine in a daily driver truck with over 100,000 miles on it.

CdnoilRAM 09-20-2012 01:20 PM

I use a few stages, but easy to do. Most important, don't clean the engine when it's hot, everything evaporates instantly and doesn't have time to clean or get rinsed off.

1. Blow out any dirt dust, my car wash has a blower system which is great. I find dirt likes to hide out in the pulleys.
2. Wet down with low pressure spray
3. Simple Green spray bottle the whole engine bay, hoses, heads, valve covers, everything. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes
4. Rinse eveything out with the wash gun, the only thing I try to avoid spraying directly is the CAI filter and electronics module on the passenger-side firewall but if they get wet it'll be fine.
5. Liberally spray a protectant, I use mother's protectant spray for the engine bay, but the CD2 is a great detailer as well, I just can't find it out here. Let sit 10-15 min.
6. Wipe off the excess protectant with a microfiber cloth.

Done.

A good tip is to do it regularly, because maintaining a clean engine bay is a hell of a lot easier than trying to clean it up everytime. I normally just rinse the engine bay every wash then detail it for shows.

KA1OTE 11-09-2012 11:30 PM

You say to not wash the bay when the engine is hot, which I understand.. my question is this.. is there a temp too low to do this?? I have been wanting to do this, however the outdoor temp is beginning to dip where I live (was 64 F on Monday, 42 F today and its projected to be 31 F tomorrow and 25 on Sunday).. is there a point where the outdoor temp is just too cold to do this properly?

otturious 11-13-2012 08:22 AM

I go the simple green route as well. As far as it being to cold I wouldnt go doing it at and kinda freezing temperatures. If you feel letting it spray and sit isnt working cause its to cold. Most of the bottles you pick up from auto places are concentrate. You can take a bucket, poor in some from the bottle, and use a scrub brush. I have an old wheel brush that works great.

Again like metioned earlier watch out for your box of fuses and try not to soak your battery.