DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Tranny upgrade (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121978)

08Hemi91 09-20-2012 07:34 AM

Tranny upgrade

Hey everyone Im planning on doing some work to my 08 hemi... Planning on supercharging it long with long tube headers, tuner, and exhaust.. So I know the 545rfe doesn't like power so.... What would need to be done so I wouldn't have any tranny problems. I was thinking of doing some valve body work and maybe a better torque converter

TheSatinPumpkin 09-20-2012 08:31 AM

stock pile on oem junk yard trannies. keep out of OD when doing upshifts WOTS and avoid 2P whenever possible.

HEMI450HP 09-20-2012 01:00 PM

Transmissions have been hit or miss on these trucks. Both Sharadon and ATS make a "built" transmission, but even those have had trouble for some trucks. On the other hand, Sharadon has a 10 second ram and a couple low 11 second rams that run their stage 3 and have been for a while. I know of a few 4th gens with the ATS that seem to be happy with it, but have heard more bad then good.

Instead of droppng big money on a full tranny up front, I would start off with a Sharadon VB, a higher stall converter, deep tranny pan, and add a 1 ton cooler if your truck did not come with one already. Many guys are running this setup with great results and that is much cheaper than dropping $3-4k on a complete transmission.

08Hemi91 09-20-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI450HP (Post 893074)
Transmissions have been hit or miss on these trucks. Both Sharadon and ATS make a "built" transmission, but even those have had trouble for some trucks. On the other hand, Sharadon has a 10 second ram and a couple low 11 second rams that run their stage 3 and have been for a while. I know of a few 4th gens with the ATS that seem to be happy with it, but have heard more bad then good.

Instead of droppng big money on a full tranny up front, I would start off with a Sharadon VB, a higher stall converter, deep tranny pan, and add a 1 ton cooler if your truck did not come with one already. Many guys are running this setup with great results and that is much cheaper than dropping $3-4k on a complete transmission.

Thanks a lot for the help might have to look into it a lil more

CdnoilRAM 09-20-2012 10:19 PM

Matt pretty much summed up my views as well. Coming from a guy who will be installing a NOVI 1200 centrifugal blower this winter, I've upgraded to a 2800 stall converter, Stage III valve body, and a deep sump pan.

HEMI450HP 09-20-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 893349)
Matt pretty much summed up my views as well. Coming from a guy who will be installing a NOVI 1200 centrifugal blower this winter, I've upgraded to a 2800 stall converter, Stage III valve body, and a deep sump pan.

Do you have a transmission temp gauge yet? Also, which transmission cooler do you have up front?

Even with my 370" stroker, I was only seeing about 185* max transmission temp with the transmission mods listed above. Temps stayed about the same even with the full stage 3 transmission as well.

CdnoilRAM 09-21-2012 02:15 AM

I have the tow package, so I have the OEM 1500 tranny cooler and I have the deeper sump pan that I added. I hadn't thought about a tranny temp gauge, wouldn't be too hard to do, I've got a free space in my overhead triple gauge pod for one. I'll pick one up when I have positive cash flow again and if temps start rising I'll swap to the 1-ton cooler.

KarateManAZ 09-21-2012 08:48 PM

I have the ATS built trans. It has been running since November last year with no problems. That's with 488rwhp and instant tq through it... I am finishing up my truck in the next month or so and I believe it will be around 600rwhp so we will see how it holds up :)

UNBROKEN 09-21-2012 09:23 PM

I'll be using ATS for my built trans also.